16

That night Florabella found herself, as she found herself every night, examining the stars. She drew the patterns in the sky, filling notebook after notebook with marks only she could understand. The universe was made of circles. She sung to herself as she scribbled, an old elvish hymn, the only song she could remember the words to in that moment. Venus was visible that night, it blinked in the sky like a great orange star. While working she felt at peace, all her loneliness and sorrow fell away and she was left with the thrill of knowledge. Then a voice, from across the trees, lifted up to join Florabella's singing. Florabella stopped her tune but the voice continued, so sweet yet strong. It was a woman's voice. Florabella set down her notebook and moved to the window, she peered out into the night, she saw no one but the song continued; never faltering. Florabella called out to the mystery woman, fearing the spirits of the wood she would stay inside the tower.

"Whose there? Step into the light!" A young woman, still in the throes of song, walked into the glade. She was tall and dressed all in green, she had a short crop of red hair and a bow across her back.

"I am just a hunter, I didn't know anyone lived in these woods." The huntress shouted up to Florabella's tower.

"Come up, I'll get the ale." Florabella disappeared from the window ledge and started rushing to tidy and prepare their drinks, she looked at herself in the full length mirror and preened. She smoothed her thick curls with coconut oil and straightened her golden gown. The huntress climbed the stairs to the to turret's top room and knocked on Florabella's door.

"Come in, come in, take a seat." Florabella was the perfect host, she radiated courtesy and warmth. They sat together at the kitchen table, there was plenty of ale, homemade bread and cheese.

"Tell me about yourself?" The huntress asked, "What's your name, where do you come from, why are you in this tower all alone?"

"I am Florabella, from the spirit isles. I am here to research the night sky."

"I might have guessed you were an elf." The huntress smiled, Florabella pressed for an explanation. "It's just the way you hold yourself, you're very graceful, not to mention beautiful." Florabella blushed beet red and giggled like a teenager.

"Oh... thank you... your turn, tell me about yourself."

"I'm Doria, from the meadows. I hunt in these woods often, there isn't any competition."

"Do you not fear the forest at night?"

"Ghosts never bothered me."

"The spirits here are different." Florabella protested, with a sense of awe.

"I've never seen them, I thought they were just a folktale?" The elf could only conclude that the forest accepted Doria, for whatever reason, and gave her peaceful passage. Florabella shook her head.

"I've seen them, I fear leaving my tower at night." Doria shrugged,

"Maybe I'm immune." Florabella laughed,

"Maybe you are." Her elven upbringing and pride found the thought of a human having some spiritual power over her shameful, but the scientist in her found it fascinating. They stayed together until daybreak, talking and drinking and laughing. Florabella did not mind neglecting her work for some good company, and likewise Doria did not mind neglecting her hunt to spend time with the mysterious elven seductress. As they had swallowed more drink and the night grew older they sat closer together, their conversation turned to flirting. It was light and airy, it was fun, pale pink and silken. They were enchanted by each other. After that night Doria visited Florabella frequently, they became entangled in each other, they became lovers.