10.

A new warmth was budding in my chest. I've never felt it before, but it was definitely magical. The whole time I walked back up to the house, a smile was impossible to erase from my face. He felt happy. He actually felt something.

   I wondered what it would be like if I couldn't feel anything. Emotions run through us humans all the time like a river. Whether that be joy, anger, even boredom. We felt something.

   He must've been so lonely. Could he even feel lonely? Can he feel the cold emptiness in his chest without any company or someone to talk to other than when I was around?

   I couldn't even imagine.

   I closed the front door with a heavy sigh, briefly leaning against it. The strap of my backpack slid down my arm and fell to the floor by the wall. The feeling of Henry's hand in mine still lingered. His touch was so cold, yet it made me feel warmer inside.

   Was it crazy for me to say he was beautiful? Something that people call a monster, is one of the most incredible beings I've ever come across. Like the wildflowers. I thought they were beautiful when others called them weeds and stripped them away from their yards. 

   I guess I was in the silo longer than I thought because walking into the kitchen, I saw my mother leaned against the counter. Her arms were crossed over her chest, and a look of stone coldness was written in her expression.

   "You were visiting the shadow person."

   I shook my head, my heart pumping with adrenaline. "No."

   My mom's arms fell as she paced toward me. Her hands clutched my shoulders. There was almost a glint of desperation in her eyes as she whispered to me. "Please, Millie. Please stay away. You're my daughter, and I love you. If anything ever happened to you, I would go insane."

   I read the hurt clouding her eyes and I could see my reflection in her irises. My eyebrows were furrowed and I looked just as distraught as her in then. A sudden feeling of acknowledgment was pushed against me. She was only keeping me away from him because she loved me.

   I felt bad for all the disobedience I've played on her. However, even in that moment, I knew there was no way I could stay away from the silo.

   I brought my mother into a tight hug. "I love you mom," I quietly told her. "And I'm going to show you that Henry isn't a bad guy."

   She backed out of my embrace. "Henry?" My mom's eyes narrowed in my direction. "It has a name?"

   "He was human once, mom." My hands fell to my sides. "Do you know how long he's been stuck in that silo... all alone?"

   "You sympathize for the monster." My mom bit her lip, fighting something back. "Fine. You run along with your beast. If you get hurt, don't blame anyone but yourself."

   "Well, I won't have to." I spun around and started for the stairs. "Henry isn't what you think. He told me that I made him feel happy."

   A huff escaped my mom. "You really believe that?" She called after me as I disappeared into my room. "He's dead! He can't feel anything!"

   The door slammed closed behind me. I fished for my phone in my backpack's front pocket. I had three texts lined on my notification wall, all from Mason

Mason: Millie, I really want to talk to you.

Mason: Can we meet up somewhere soon?

Mason: Just us, not with the whole group.

   I sent back a quick text.

Me: Of course. Come by my house around 5.

   After a couple seconds of hesitation, I added something else.

Me: I want you to meet someone...