Chapter 1

"Momma!" Louis comes running down the stairs, half-dressed with a toothbrush in his mouth. It's his first day of Grade Ten, for the third time.

"Yes, Lou?" Jay answers from the kitchen.

It was Lottie's and Fizzie's first day in ninth and eleventh grade respectively. Phoebe and Daisy were heading straight into their art classes of second grade. Doris and Ernest shall be spending another year at daycare. Jay was glad she found a school that served all her needs, now there was only one trip in the morning and one in the afternoon. Well, two because Louis stayed in after school for extra tuition.

"I can't find Spider man." He comes into the kitchen pouting with foam dripping out the corner of his mouth.

Jay knew he was referring to his T-shirt with Andrew Garfield masked as the famous superhero. He wore it customarily every year for his first day. "He's in the wash, sweetheart."

"Aw." His shoulders slump.

"But it should be dry-"

"Yay!" He punches the air. "Can I go?"

Jay bites her bottom lip, the last time Louis did that he tripped and fell in their backyard. Had Daisy not gone out to look for - ironically enough - rose petals, they probably would have found him later that night.

"I'll be careful." He says quietly, sensing his momma's hesitancy.

"Alright. Be back in time for waffles."

"Promise!" He kisses her cheek and runs off.

Little scamp he was. Jay loved her eldest son to bits and pieces, he was a gift from God to her. But, he was diagnosed all those years ago and now she had to battle with his health.

He comes back in looking sheepish. "Momma?" He sniffles with red eyes and a broken toothbrush in his hand.

She sighs and puts her hand on her hip. "What's wrong, Lou?"

He just raises his hand in response, to expose his elbow to her and reveal the bright red gash.

"You fell?"

His bottom lip quivers and he ducks his head as he cries. It really hurt when he tripped on Doris' outside dolly.

"Aw, sweetheart." Fizzie makes an appearance from the living room and smiles at her brother. "Let's cover this up, yeah?"

Jay nods at her daughter and returns to her usual morning preparations.

"So, Lou." Fizzie makes him sit while she opens the first aid kit. "Excited?"

"Yeah." He grins widely at his sister. "Ronny's not there anymore but he said I could make new friends."

Felicite is his favorite sister but he'd never tell anyone that. He loved Lottie but sometimes she would say no to watching cartoons with him or would eat the last pudding cup without sharing. Felicite always shared.

"Oh? What about Niall?" She asks after Louis chooses the bright red band aid. He was a big boy now and didn't have to wear Spongebob ones anymore. The big kids at school didn't like them, they'd always try to pull them off his skin.

"Niall's nice. I love him too."

"Not as nice as Ronny?"

Louis blushes. "Ronny made me cupcakes on my birthday. The red velvet ones, even!"

"I know, Lou." She laughs and drops his hand. "Go get dressed and come down."

"Okay!" He jumps off the stool and runs upstairs.