Chapter 5

*NARRATOR'S POV* 

Louis went about his day as usual. His mind and will-power refused to let Harry's rejection fester within him. He wanted to move on, he had enough friends for a healthy high school life. Why Harry approached him after their depressing talk was beyond him though, and only a small portion of his curiosity was willing to find out why.

Just before lunch, Louis went to his locker to swap out his books and unintentionally ended up dropping them all. He hated when that happened because it saddened him to see the creases on the pages, or dog-ears at the corners. As much as it was weird, he loved his stuff and made an effort to take care of them.

Bending over and stretching many dormant muscles, he picks each text book up neatly. He's startled by a voice that seems to coming from behind him.

"You shouldn't do that here." It of course had to Harry.

Louis flushed from head to toe and hurried to put his things away. "W-What?"

"Bend over." Harry's eyes were dark but the sunglasses hid them well.

When Harry didn't walk away, Louis contemplated going to lunch with all the books in hand.

"Louis." Harry starts.

Louis didn't like people starting a conversation in that tone. It was dry and forced. It made his bottom lip quiver and he bit down on it.

"Lou, I'm sorry for this morning."

"I-It's fine." Louis pushes his reading glasses further up the bridge of his nose - he'd never admit that he thought they looked pretty and his eyes itched when he didn't have them on.

"No, Lou. It isn't."

Harry had spent the entire first three periods in the parking lot, away from all the desperate students and teachers. Even though he wasn't ready - and unwilling - to put too much effort into winning Louis back, he was prepared to try something.

"H-Harry, we can't be friends-"

"I don't want to be friends." Harry cuts him off just as he realizes his foolproof plan.

He takes one large stride to get closer to the smaller lad, who is caught between him and the lockers. Louis' eyes dart everywhere nervously and he squeezes his eyes shut as if preparing for a hit. Harry frowns but ignores the blossoming feeling in his chest.

He reaches up with his large hand, caressing Louis' cheek and jaw line. Harry noticed how they were slightly hollow and the bones were defined in a way that was positively lethal for a creature like him. He thumbed lightly at the skin below Louis' eyes, the tiny boy's lashes framed them so well.

Harry had waited all fucking day for this and he knows he has less than twelve minutes for the bell to go again. He hears the abrupt ruckus of a corrupt bunch of idiots down the hall and growls with a lilt of possessiveness. He remembers what Zayn said about nobody bothering Louis, but that didn't mean it made him any less protective.

Wait. What?

Harry stiffens and so does his hand on Louis' throat. He leans forward, close enough to get a whiff of Louis' scent because it can't be.

But the monster who made him had other plans. Harry whimpered at Louis' true scent that only he could pick up from being this close to him. He pressed his body flush against Louis' and the smaller boy blinked up at him in fear.

"No." Harry breathed. Over and over again in a mantra because he didn't want this. He didn't need this. But this was always chosen for them.

"Harry. You're scaring me." Louis' voice trembles and it makes Harry livid because that's not how it works.