Chapter 3: Insight

Sam made his way up the two flights of stairs towards Pidge's apartment, a white paper bag in one hand. Its contents clattered like a rattle with each quick step. The door was left unlocked when Sam left, so he just walked in.

Inside the humble space, it smelled of chicken soup. The decor looked modern and things were cluttered in some places while tidy in others; computers, game consoles, books, all of the typical objects of a young adult displayed in an organized mess. Warm colors made everything look bright and full of vitality, reflecting the exuberance of youth.

In the kitchen were two young men, Pidge's other housemates and friends. One was tall and husky, a busy chef fussing over a boiling pot. The long, amber yellow sleeves of his shirt were rolled up to his elbows, and his tongue stuck out in concentration. The other, beside the chef, hovered a much lankier boy that looked guilty as he leaned back against the counter, arms crossed over his chest.

Sam raised a hand to call their attention as he walked in.

"Oh, Dr. Holt, you're back. I'm making some soup for Keith ... I thought he could use something light to eat, you know, to settle his stomach?" The larger of the two men said almost in one breath. Clearly still nervous from the whole situation if the anxious twitching was any indication.

Sam smiled fondly at him as he was touched by the kindness. "That's very thoughtful of you Hunk. Thank you." Sam looked at the one next to Hunk. The young man refused to lift his gaze from the floor, his finger was tapping his upper arm rhythmically. Sam felt empathy for him so he used a calm tone when he asked him, "Lance, did you throw away the box I gave you?"

"Yes, Dr. Holt. We also cleaned up the mess in Keith's room ... changed sheets and all that." Lance mumbled.

Sam offered him a sympathetic smile as he walked towards Lance and placed a hand on one of his shoulders. That was the only instance that Lance looked up at Sam.

"Don't worry about it Lance. You didn't know, it was unintentional and he should be alright now. Just try to be more careful when you touch Keith from now on. As you saw, he is easily overstimulated with skin contact, it distresses him more than it calms him."

Lance stared at Sam for a few seconds while his blue eyes moved like he was trying to understand what Sam explained. After a few seconds Lance nodded softly and averted his gaze to the boiling soup. Though he held some of his guilt he appeared to think hard about Sam's words.

Sam could sympathize and as a sign of reassurance he patted Lance's shoulder. Soon after, Lance nodded softly and San took it like Lance understood.

"I'm gonna go check on them then. Can you pass me a bottle of water for Keith, please?" Sam asked with a calm smile.

"Sure thing Mr. Holt. I think Keith's still in the shower, but Pidge in his room." Lance informed as he went to the fridge to get the bottle of water.

"Yeah, I think Keith is feeling a little better... well, stomach-wise at least. Not sure about the rest though ..." Hunk added to Lance's response as he looked through the cupboard for a bowl. Then added a few herbs to the soup and stirred it before serving it. His tone was a little somber in the last sentence.

"Thank you," Sam took the bottle and headed all the down the hall. He passed the bathroom, and the first door to his right was Keith's room. It was followed by Hunk and Lance's room, and adjacent to their room was the master bedroom, Pidge's bedroom.

Keith's door was ajar but he still knocked as he came in with caution. He caught the sight of Pidge sitting on the edge of Keith's bed slightly swinging her feet. Her head was bent down so Sam couldn't exactly if she was looking at her feet, or at the folder that rested on her lap.