CHAPTER 31-COURT IS NOW IN SESSION

At the courthouse, Teicee paced back and forth in front of the courtroom door. Rick sat on the bench watching her as Ms. Ethel sat quietly beside him, reading her bible. Moments later, Dub walked up from around the corner and Teicee ran and fell into his arms,

"I'm so glad you came, baby "she said.

Dub kissed her on the cheek, "Anything for the baby girl."

Dub turned and looked at Rick and Teicee cleared her throat. "Dub, this is Rick, my new friend and Rick, this is Dub, my second youngest son."

Rick extended his hand but Dub only looked at it.

"I see you." Dub said to Rick with a nod.

Rick nodded back "No problem. I know how you feel. I'd be the same way about my mama, respect."

They could hear more footsteps coming from around the corner and seconds later Butter, Ronnie with his backpack on ready for class, Rodney, Brock and Pam appeared from around the corner. They walked up to Teicee, Dub and Rick. Teicee quickly hugged both Ronnie and Rodney, then grabbed Butter and planted kisses all over his face, leaving pink lipstick marks covering his face. Teicee introduced Rick to Butter, Ronnie and Rodney, then turned to introduce him to Brock and Pam as well.

"Not bad at all" Pam said, looking Rick up and down, "But what he want with you?"

Teicee glared at her until Brock stepped forward and stood in front of Rick. "What you here for, boss?"

"I'm here for Tee" Rick answered coolly, not backing down from him.

Brock smirked. "Her name ain't Tee, it's Teicee" Brock corrected him, and Rick smiled. "Oh, that's my special name for her, if you know what I mean." He said with a wink.

Brock's face hardened, and he stepped closer. Before he could utter another word, the courtroom door swing open and the deputy walked out.

"Can we go in?" Teicee asked the deputy, opening the doors. He nodded and waved them all into the courtroom. Teicee walked to the front row and sat down. She looked over at Officer McFarland being guided into the courtroom, to the defendant's seat. She thought back to the day she was leaving prison and how officer McFarland spoke to her and taunted her, and she immediately grew angry. The judge walked in and everyone stood until he was seated. Once everyone was seated, the precedings began. The courtroom fell silent and all that could be heard was a bunch of papers shuffling. Finally, Officer McFarland's attorney stood and announced that Officer McFarland was entering a plea of not guilty. Butter jumped up and screamed out loud. "How?" he shouted, with tears welling up in his eyes. "How can you be not guilty when you killed my little sister!"

Teicee and Brock both jumped up and grabbed him. They sat him back down as the judge banged his gravel. A deputy made his way over to them and whispered to Butter. "Anymore outbursts and you're outta here." Brock leaned over and whispered into Butter's ear and Butter slumped down in the seat, poking his lips out as tears streamed down his face.

Officer McFarland stood, raised her right hand and took her oath, then with the help of her attorney, told her version of events. She explained that Kayla did run into the street and she didn't see her. After allowing Officer Mcfarland to tell a few more lies about how sorry she was, the defense settled, and it was time for the prosecution to step forward.

"Miss MacFarland, is it true that somewhere around or near the moment of impact you were texting someone from your cell phone?" the state attorney asked bluntly.

"I'm not sure" Officer McFarland replied.

The state attorney pushed his designer glasses up onto his nose as he read from a stack of papers in his hand. "Miss. MacFarland, are you familiar with a Ms. Nicole Casum?"