Chapter 1 - The Search

Sidney waited as patiently as he could for his phone call to be answered. After unsuccessfully trying to locate John and Lucy, he and Keith had returned home to their wives. Although they had failed to find them, at least they knew their children weren’t stuck in the quicksand pool. That most likely meant they had successfully gone back through time. At least their parents prayed that was the case.

Sarah and Sonja had told Keith and himself about the visit they had received from Graham Anderson and had informed them that it was Mr Anderson who had provided the Winnie suits to the children. Sidney was now waiting for Mr Anderson to pick up the phone so he could talk to him about getting himself and Keith a Winnie suit, so they could follow the children back through time.

Just as Sidney was about to hang up a man answered the phone.

“Hello?”

“Hello, Mr Anderson?”

“Yes, who’s this?”

“Mr Anderson, my name is Sidney Pickett. I am John Pickett’s father. I understand you are the one responsible for giving John and Lucy the atmospheric diving suits. Is that correct?”

“Yes, that’s right. As I told your wife this morning, I am terribly sorry for my part in their disappearance. Have you managed to locate them, Mr Pickett?”

“No, we haven’t. Look, I won’t beat around the bush. I’ll just get straight to the point.”

“Certainly.”

“Mr Anderson …”

“Please, call me Graham,” he interjected.

“Graham. Okay, Graham, I have to say, right at this moment I am one pissed off father.”

“Yes, I understand. I would be too if they were my children. I am so sorry for my part. If there is anything I can do?”

“Well, yes. That’s why I’m ringing. Please, let me finish.”

“Okay, go ahead.”

“Mr Anderson … Graham, I would like to know if you have any more atmospheric diving suits available?”

“Yes. They’re not mine but I do have access to them.”

“Well, I would like you to get myself and Lucy’s father, Keith, one each. Is that possible?”

Graham thought for a moment. He had already made preparations to leave in two hours to see if he could go back through time. He didn’t want John and Lucy’s parents to be suspicious of him but he also didn’t want two men tagging along. No, that wouldn’t do. His odds were better if he only had to take one of them on if things didn’t go as planned.

“I’m sorry Mr Pickett but I can’t allow that. You see, they don’t belong to me. They belong to a good friend of mine. He’s currently in transit overseas and I can’t contact him. I could possibly get one suit for you but I’m afraid I’d have to travel with you.”

“So you do have access to two suits?”

“I can get two suits, yes. But I won’t allow all four suits through to God knows where, I’m sorry. I just can’t do that to my friend. It’s his life savings. You understand?”

“Look, I do see your point of view, but it’s you who got them into this mess in the first place so I think you need to put aside your friendship for the moment and concentrate on helping us find our children. Do I make myself clear?”

Graham couldn’t believe the way Sidney Pickett was talking to him. He now knew why his great grandfather, Frank Anderson, didn’t like the Pickett’s. They seemed to think the whole world revolved around them.