Chapter 7 - Hero or Enemy?

Lucy knew she was done for. In a split second she’d lost her grip and now she was going to fall to her death. But she wasn’t falling. As soon as she realized this, she grabbed hold of the ladder tightly. Someone from below her on the ladder had stopped her fall. Still wearing a blindfold, Lucy couldn’t see who it was, but she was so grateful to them and would let them know the moment they were safely at the bottom of the pit. She gathered herself together and started the climb down.

Moments later the smooth voiced woman sang out to Lucy, “You need to be more careful. Keep a firm grip now and I will meet you at the bottom momentarily. In the mean time, Kevin will see to you.”

Lucy acknowledged that she’d heard the lady by nodding her head. She wasn’t going to raise her head, just in case she lost her balance again. She was sure her new hero, Kevin, wouldn’t want to save her twice in a matter of seconds.

It took a few minutes for Lucy to reach the bottom of the pit. Never before had she been so grateful to be on solid ground. She realized that it was a lot cooler here than up at the top. The temperature must have dropped by at least fifteen degrees Celsius.

Lucy had to see who had rescued her so she took a chance and removed her blindfold. It took a moment for her eyes to adjust back to the light. As soon as they had, she turned around and looked at Kevin, the man who had saved her.

Lucy expected to see a man in his thirties or forties and was surprised to see someone who looked not much older than herself. Kevin stood approximately five foot nine inches tall and had dark, tanned skin. His hair was short and black and his eyes were a bright emerald green. Lucy was taken aback by his beauty. She was suddenly speechless.

“So, you made it down safely. For a moment there I thought we were both goners,” he said in a quiet, yet deep tone.

Not wanting to be rude to her hero, Lucy quickly found her voice.

“Yeah, me too. Thank you so much for catching me. I mean, I’m so grateful. I would’ve been dead if it wasn’t for you.”

“We both would have. I’m just happy I had the strength to hold you in that big yellow outfit. And you’re welcome. You’re new here, right? What’s your name?” Kevin asked.

“I’m Lucy and you’re Kevin,” Lucy said, still mesmerized by his good looks.

“Yes, I know who I am,” Kevin said, a wide grin spreading across his face. His eyes sparkled.

“Oh, I know you know who you are. I was just meaning that I knew who you were, that’s all; if you get what I mean?” Lucy babbled, blushing and returning Kevin’s smile.

“Ah, yes, I think I do,” Kevin replied, still grinning.

At that moment the smooth voiced lady finished her descent and came to stand with them.

“I see you’ve met Lucy, Kevin? Thank you for your help up there,” she addressed Kevin.

Kevin’s smile was quickly wiped from his face and his relaxed manor suddenly became rigid.

“You’re welcome,” he replied and then, as an afterthought added, “ma’am”.

“Well, yes,” the woman replied, looking Kevin up and down momentarily.

She quickly turned to Lucy.

 “Come on then Lucy, you have some explaining to do. And put your blindfold back on. Nobody told you to remove it,” the woman directed Lucy and once again took her firmly by the arm and led her into a dark tunnel.

Lucy turned as much as she could and shouted out in Kevin’s direction, “Thank you again, Kevin.”

“You’re welcome, Lucy,” and, as an afterthought said, ‘see you around,” before he began his ascent up the ladder.

The smooth voiced woman took note of the exchange between Lucy and Kevin and spoke up, “A warning; don’t go making too many friends. We haven’t yet decided your fate.”

Kevin’s friendly, smiling face had lulled Lucy into a false sense of security. Suddenly that security was ripped away from Lucy. She would have to remember that, at this moment, she really couldn’t trust anyone; not even a handsome guy like Kevin. He was, after all, a member of this group and would ultimately be loyal to them, Lucy thought.

As they travelled further into the tunnel an occasional glimpse of light would shine through Lucy’s blindfold, enough to make Lucy realize that she was passing a light source. Lucy was curious about what sort of power they would be able to use down here. She’d never known the tunnels to have power in her time.

“Where do you get your power from?” Lucy piped up, her curiosity momentarily making her forget her safety for herself.

The smooth voiced lady stopped walking. She turned to Lucy and pushed Lucy’s blindfold down off her face and made eye contact with her.

“Let’s get one thing straight Lucy,” she said, looking deep into Lucy’s eyes, “I am the one who will be asking the questions. You may speak when you are spoken to; apart from that, you will remain silent. Do you understand?”

Lucy took her first good look at the serene voiced lady. She had dark hair with a smattering of white and grey throughout and her face was well kept and surprisingly light in colour, for the amount of time she must have spent in the sun. The woman was taller than Lucy expected too and would have stood at least five foot seven. Lucy noticed the woman’s piercing green eyes. She tried to read them but couldn’t. They were blank in expression.

‘She plays a good poker face’ Lucy thought to herself and answered the woman with a voice stronger than she felt.

“Yes, I understand; although I would like you to answer one thing before I stop talking,” she ventured.

“Go on,” the woman prompted.

“Who are you?” Lucy asked.

“My name is Prairie and, depending on what you have to say, I will either be your biggest ally or your worst enemy.”

With that, Prairie drew the blindfold back up around Lucy’s eyes, took a firm grip on Lucy’s arm again and guided her back along the tunnel.