Chapter 40

Barry sped to the future and right into S.T.A.R. Labs with Eobard Thawne in tow, the moment they entered the Cortex, he put a pair of metahuman cuffs on him.

Eobard was shocked, "What the hell is this?" he questioned, looking down at the cuffs.

"That is a contingency plan so you keep up your end of the bargain," Barry told him with a harsh tone.

Cisco walked out of the med bay and went into the Cortex, his gaze was focused on his tablet until he heard an all too familiar voice. Cisco looked up and met eyes with Thawne, he dropped his tablet in shock as he took a few steps back cautiously.

"W-What the hell is he doing here?" Cisco questioned, pointing at Thawne in disbelief. "How is he even here?"

Barry stumbled on his words for a moment, "He is here to help," he told Cisco, trying to calm his friend.

Eobard smiled as he stood behind Barry, "Nice to see you again, Ramon."

Cisco shook his head, "You're insane," he told Barry. "We need help and your first idea was him? The man who murdered your mother?" Cisco half-shouted.

Barry sighed, he expected some resistance from the team, "I know how it looks, but can you honestly tell me that he isn't the smartest person you know?"

Cisco slowly shook his head, "I still don't like it, and neither will Y/N."

"I know," Barry admitted. "But what other choice do we have? I am not going to lose her."

Eobard stepped forward, glancing around at the future version of the Cortex. "So, what am I working with exactly?" he asked.

Cisco made his disapproval evident, "Y/N's stable, but we aren't sure how long she'll be that way. She's fading fast..."

Caitlin and Julian both walked out of the med bay and into Cortex, their expressions dropped when they saw Eobard Thawne standing beside Barry.

Cisco chuckled, turning to Cait and Julian, "Don't worry guys, he's here to help," Cisco explained sarcastically as if he still didn't believe it.

"How the hell did he even get here?" Caitlin questioned. "And what time is he from?"

Barry stepped forward, "I brought him here," he told Caitlin.

Caitlin's jaw practically dropped, "You brought him here?" she asked in disbelief.

Barry nodded silently for a moment, "You and Julian said it yourselves, you can't save Y/N. And even though it pains me to say this, Thawne is the smartest person I know, he has an understanding of metahumans and speedsters that no one here has," he explained. "We need him..."

"And when is he from?" Caitlin added.

"2014," Barry answered.

Everyone was silent in the Cortex, Barry hated the looks he was receiving from his friends. They had made it abundantly clear that they didn't like Barry's plan, but they couldn't argue that Barry was right when he said that Eobard was the smartest man for the job.

Julian sighed, eventually coming to terms with Thawne being there, "Y/N inhaled a genetically enhanced gas, it has attacked the metahuman cells in her body and caused them to attack themselves, she deteriorating from the inside out," he explained as the whole team entered the med bay.

Eobard stood over Y/N, Barry on the other side of her, his hand holding onto her hand tightly. Barry's gaze drifted down to Y/N, she was cold and pale as Barry held her hand, his thumb brushing over her knuckles gently as he tried to warm her hand.

Eobard nodded, "Now this...is a real challenge," he smirked.

Barry looked up at him with a serious expression, "This isn't a joke," he said sternly. "This is my wife we're talking about."

Eobard put his hands up in surrender, "Fine."

Thawne quickly got to work. When Joe arrived, he immediately pulled Barry into the hallway outside the Cortex.

Cisco had called Joe and informed him of the situation that had just unfolded at S.T.A.R. Labs. Cisco was worried, not only for Y/N; but for Barry too. He had to be truly desperate to go after Thawne, the man who had murdered his mother and tormented him for years.

"What the hell were you thinking?" Joe questioned.

Barry furrowed his brows, "What do you mean?"

Joe sighed, "You know damn well what I mean, why him?"

"He's smart, smarter than all of us," Barry answered. "I'm sorry but we needed someone. Caitlin and Julian admitted that they couldn't save her...I wasn't going to just stand by and watch my wife die, Joe."

Joe shook his head, "You should have talked to the team first," he argued. "Have you even thought about what Y/N will think?"

Barry sighed, "No," he answered as his voice trailed off.

"Barry that man in there is identical to the man who nearly killed her, who killed her parents, and who took everything from her. What do you think Y/N is going to think when she wakes up and sees him standing over her?"

Barry looked up and met Joe's eyes, "I think she'll be happy just to be alive," he mentioned.

Joe looked disappointed, "I really hope you're right about that because I'd hate to know what would happen if you were wrong," he told Barry before an alert came over his phone. "I need to get back to the station," he said before leaving.

Barry stayed in the hallway for a moment, contemplating whether what he did was right or wrong. Everyone was against Barry and his plan.

Barry knew it was crazy, bringing back the man who murdered his mother to save his wife, hell, it sounded insane, but it was the only thing that Barry thought would work. Eobard Thawne had pulled off some incredible feats over the years, Barry only hoped that he could save Y/N.

Slowly, Barry returned to the med bay and saw Eobard injecting something into Y/N's arm.

"What are those?" Barry asked.

"Nanites," Thawne answered, never looking away from his work. "They are microrobots from my time; if I am correct, and I know that I am, then they will attach to whatever this gas put in her system and expel it," he explained.

Though it pained Barry to admit it, "Thank you," he told Eobard.

Eobard smirked, glancing over at Barry. "I don't want your thanks," he replied smugly.

Barry sighed, his jaw tense again, "Why do you hate me?" he asked Thawne.

"I don't hate you," he answered calmly.

"Yes, you do-"

"No I don't," Eobard shouted. "I envied you, I wanted to be you," he told Barry, his voice raised. "God, I admired you, I put you on this pedestal...never meet your heroes, right?"

Barry was in shock, "What do you mean you admired me?" he asked. "You looked up to me?"

"All I wanted to be was you," Eobard told him. "Back in my time I was impressed by you, and then I tried to be you, that's when I realized you are no hero, you are what's wrong with the world."

Barry furrowed his brows, "How so?"

Thawne scoffed, "You heroes think you're so high and mighty unlike the rest of us, you run around dishing out justice however you see fit, you don't think that's unfair?" he questioned. "So then one day I figured, that if The Flash could dish out justice however he saw fit, then so could I," Thawne added. "So who's the real villain here?"

Barry didn't like where this conversation was headed, "Get back to work," he said sternly before he left the med bay and waited in the Cortex, still keeping a close eye on Eobard.

Cisco sat at his desk nervously, unsure of what to think. Thawne was Barry's biggest enemy, the man he could never beat...and now he was tending to Barry's wife...