~1~

"I meant what I said, Sophie!" My Dad scolded me as he pointed his finger in my face, sternly.

"Yes, yes, Dad, I get the point." I roll my eyes, "This is going to be an eye opening experience, where I learn to be a responsible adult and what not."

I wave my hands with fake and sarcastic enthusiasm, as we stand in the middle of the street. Just behind us was a large moving van, currently being unloaded of boxes that contained my personal things. Just by our feet, my things began to build up as we stared at each other.

He let out a large sigh, digging into his pockets. I could hear the spear change rattling around and clashing together as he fished for what he wanted.

Finally he hooked out a silver set of keys and dangled them in my face. Slightly taunting me, not letting me grasp onto them just yet.

"You've got 3 months young lady! I have paid your rent for 3 months and for that long only. After that, this apartment is your own responsibility to pay for. During your time away from home you're going to learn to provide for yourself instead of dipping into the family bank whenever you want." My dad told me, still gripping onto my keys, "That means you're going to have to get a job of your own. In the meantime, I've transferred money into your account for basic things like food and toiletries. But from now on you need to earn your own luxuries!"

I looked into his serious eyes. He had the same pale blue eyes as I did, only they looked a lot more angry and cold. His lips were folded into a frown which reflected the bad attitude that had developed towards me, his only daughter, over the years.

"I said, I get the point." I sighed dramatically, as I swipe the keys from his hands.

Like a spoilt child, I cross my arms over my chest and huffed down at the floor. My life recently took a turn for the worst and my father's actions were far from supportive.

All my life I had been treated like a child, being showered in expensive things and everything I could ever ask for. I never had to work a day in my life, because my father always provided for me. He wanted that support to continue and to make sure it did, he introduced me to a young suitor who was part of a wealthy family. This was an opportunity for me to secure my future fortune, while he also worked on his own business links with the family.

Unfortunately, things didn't work out. Even though it was my relationship that crumbled, it can be debated that my father was in fact more heartbroken than I was. I had lost the man that I loved, but in his eyes, his broken business bonds were more important than his daughters broken heart.

"Look, sweetie, I'm not doing this to be cruel." He tried to comfort me, putting an arm around my shoulders, "I'm doing this because I love you and want you to develop into an independent woman. It's about time you supported yourself for a while."

"More like you're punishing me for not marrying Nathan." I mumbled slightly under my breath.

I felt my father's body tense as he let go of my shoulder and stepped away from me.

"Look here," his soft tone had suddenly changed back to being serious, "Nathan was an impeccable future husband. Your future would have been very bright if you had just stayed by his side!"

"He seemed to be an impeccable suitor for the whole town." I shot back, glaring at my father.

"I've had enough of this conversation!" He held his hand out in my face, "You brought this upon yourself. Maybe if you dealt with the situation more maturely, I wouldn't be needing to teach you this life lesson."

He wasn't completely wrong, after the split, I had moved back into the family home. At this time I had no stable income to fall back on, so I depended on the family funds to get me everything I needed.