Cookies and Hugs

Jeon Jungkook never really liked espresso. The words like despise, detest, repulsion, revulsion, etc could be used to describe his feeling towards this specific coffee of Italian origin. So, being a barista was out of the question. However, life had a different plan for him.

When his best friend Kim Taehyung, who is more like a brother to him started a café Jungkook was more than happy for him. But being happy for him didn't include agreeing to the offer of being a barista at his café 'Cookies & Hugs'. Neither was Jungkook good at saying no to his friend. Hence, the next working day itself Jungkook found himself serving espresso-based coffee drinks to the customers.

One thing Jungkook found advantageous of his job was that he could easily identify the personality of his customers through their choice of coffee. Latte, the classic go-to espresso drink represented a sweet and rich personality. People who want a perfect pick - me - up drink in the morning, preferred latte over a mocha. The order for cappuccino mainly came from the group of highschool girls who flirted with him.

"Pathetic feelings," he always thought.

Then there was this girl, who wasn't particularly pretty to his eyes, who always ordered ristretto. If God forbid, she finds out his poker face while preparing this single shot of espresso, he would definitely raise his suggestion of choosing macchiato than ristretto next time to her.

Like always, Jungkook placed her order of ristretto along with a glass of sparkling water to drink in between sips. But as usual, this not so pretty girl refused the water leaving him to his thoughts on how she managed to drink this extremely rich coffee which can damage one's sweet sensor taste buds.

When he gave a small inconspicuous glance towards her, he was alarmed with the site of her tears. She was clearly crying, with a tight grip on her handkerchief and the ristretto cup already drained. Next thing he knew, he was walking towards her with a plate of cookies and a glass of water.

"It's on the house," he said while placing the plate of cookies on her table. It was almost closing time, and it was just the two of them inside. He gingerly pushed the plate closer to her. Her tear-stained face stared at him.

"I guess I won't be achieving my dream," she whispered. Jungkook was obviously confused, but he didn't try to pry. They were strangers, he can't expect her to open up her troubles to him. So he thought of being a little philosophical.

"I don't know what made you come to such a conclusion," he looked into her eyes and sighed.

“What is the you that you dreamed of?
Who do you see in the mirror? I gotta say
Go on your path
Even if you live for a day
Do something
Put away your weakness” Jungkook said in a calm voice. The inspirational lyrics of a famous K-pop band song came into his hand.

She smiled as she listened to him. The hug was initiated from her side but was completed by Jungkook.

"I didn't know this café offered free cookies and hugs for a customer in distress," she said with a small laugh.

"Special services, Ma'am" Jungkook gave a wink, which failed miserably. Maybe he even failed to notice her simple beauty before. Now, it won't hide from his eyes.

The next day she arrived on time. Without giving time for her to say her order, Jungkook already placed the ristretto. Her eyes sparkled as she gave warm laughter.

"I want a cappuccino," she smirked, "With the special service of cookies and hugs."

________________

Thank you, BTS. Hopefully, there will be a concert soon in INDIA.