prologue

"mckenna lewis?" the woman at the front desk of cornerstone counseling calls out. i quickly stand  up and walk over, getting my $20 copay ready before she has the chance to ask. she asks me if i'd like my receipt. i shake my head with a 'no, thank you' and head back over to my seat. i'm flustered enough as it is. what am i to do with a piece of paper that i'll end up forgetting about before i do my laundry? my thoughts are running wild in my head as i wait for my therapist to come and collect me for our next bi-weekly session. my heart is beating fast, almost as fast as when he kissed me. and the pit residing in my stomach had not been altered. my skin was crawling, but i wasn't tweaking. i was freaking out as i thought of the words spilling out of my mouth. i was finally admitting my secret. not only to someone else, but to myself. i coudn't believe it. this isn't the hardest thing i've done, but it's one of them. just when i thought i was going to combust, my therapist, jamie, saunters out in her staple wedges with a smile and asks if im ready. i eagerly nod and follow her down the gray hallway before we reach her office.

as i walk in, i pull the door shut behind me with my clammy hands. jamie already knows that something is off, she can see it in my face. but she has no idea what's coming next. i place myself on the couch right in the middle cushion and reach over to grab something to keep myself occupied i slip off my shoes and cross my legs up on the cushion with the rest of my shaking body. i stare at my socks for a minute before jamie's doe eyes became too much and she said, "right, get on with it. did you kill someone? you're scaring me." i shake my head, unable to keep it in any longer. she starts scratching away at her paper before i interject.

"i'm in love with my sister's boyfriend."