Chapter 3🏵

Annaliese doesn't remember how she gets home but she remembers crying herself to sleep.

She replays everything that happened in the woods last night with a broken heart. What did you expect Annaliese? she thinks to herself.

You should have seen it coming.

She had told her mom what happened the night before when the mother had waited for her to come home. Cresent on the other hand has been quiet since last night with the occasional whimpering and pain in Annaliese's chest. The blind girl stays locked in her room as she does not want anybody's sympathy, thinking over and over again, replaying the brutal words of her mate.

"You're not fit to be my mate, I don't want you."

Those words burned her heart and are still burning her heart. It hurts to have your mate say that to you. The one person the moon goddess has fated with you, the only person who will ever make you truly happy, the only person that is supposed to accept you and love you for who you are. Needless to say, her mate is a douchebag. The typical arrogant Alpha with an ego as big as the world itself and anyone can agree this mate is a conceited prideful bastard.

But what was she expecting? Nobody would love her, she is blind.

The Clear Waters Alpha mind links his pack to gather at the town square by noon. According to him, anybody not present is to be punished. Either way, Annaliese knows she wouldn't miss it. Her father is the delta after all. Yes, they're a small pack with houses here and there, a few shops, a hospital, a town hall, and some other buildings.

With last night's happenings, Annaliese has forgotten the Alpha king was around. She mind links one of the twins and asks for the time then gets out of her bed annoyed.

"10:57 am."

She rushes into the bathroom and takes a quick shower then she puts on a short strapless dress and goes downstairs. Annaliese can sense her whole family looking at her with pity.

Markus is about to say something but Matthew smacks him whispering shut up. He glares at Matt but thankfully keeps quiet. At 11:33 am, they leave the house. They get to the square around 11:50 am and wait for the alpha while Eric and their father go to stand with Beta Grant and his daughter, Julia as the square is packed full.

A few minutes later, Annaliese smells alpha Cedric and some other new scents. The smells are strange to her so she concludes the Alpha King's pack, The Zenith Wolves pack are the owners of the different scents. Everyone murmurs and she listens carefully to grasp what the alpha king is about to say.

Just then, the same scent from last night hits her all over again. Now thicker in air, the scent drifts in and out of her nose mercilessly, causing small whines to escape from her.

"Mate," Cresent says dejectedly in her head.

Annaliese tries to distract herself from the smell by drowning in the conversations around her.

"Look, Emma, he's here."
"That's him."
"He's handsome."
"Wish he was my mate."
"He looks wicked."
"What is he looking at?"

The whole square gasps in unison and Annaliese can tell she's the center of attention. Her mate walks towards her like a predator checking out its prey and he tilts her head up with his fingers.

"You." He growls like he can't believe he would be seeing her again.

Why does he always growl at us?, Cresent is undoubtedly miserable from last night's unofficial rejection. The unhappy wolf can sense his wolf trying to come to the surface to look at her.