Chapter 3: Suddenly, a Cat

Andy had offered to drive me and Maya to the bar in the evening, so I just refreshed my makeup a little and walked down to the parking lot with Andy. He was a really fun person to talk to, honestly. I was just laughing at one of his jokes when I spotted Yoongi and Maya standing by Andy's car.
"So you finished analyzing last month's report, then?" He said, once we were all together.
I rolled my eyes. We bickered pretty much all the way to the bar, with Andy finding it all very amusing.

At the bar, thoughts about the past made me lose some inhibition over my control, and I drank a lot during the drinking games. As soon as I was wasted, I think Maya sat on one side of me, and one of the mentors on the other side. I kept losing drinking games, but someone was probably my white knight, because I didn't drink any more. I would've thrown up if I had.

Once it was late at night, I was being shaken awake by Yoongi. Maya stood by him, very drunk herself. He dragged the two of us outside, and I gladly held onto his sleeve. He looked very drunk himself– when did he drink so much? Was he my white knight sitting next to me? I never noticed. However, he had the presence of mind to call a cab, which Maya got into.

Once it was just the two of us standing together, he turned to look at me for a moment. I stuck my tongue out to mock him, because god knows why—I was drunk and I didn't like this guy. That being said, I was holding on to his arm tightly. He picked up his phone to call a cab, but as he stepped away, I pulled onto his arm.
"Why are you leaving me here?"
"Of course I wouldn't—what? This cab is for you."
I pouted and stared up at him, drawing closer. Surprisingly, he didn't protest or pull away.
"Liar. They're all liars. Taking me for granted. You can't leave without me. I won't let you."
"Or what?"
"Or what...?" I scoffed. I didn't realize that I'd been coming closer and closer to his face. "Or I'll—" I grabbed onto his coat collar and my breath hitched. Up so close, you could really tell he was a pretty boy. I'll never know what drew me in; perhaps it was the look in his eyes, or the way he inched his face closer, but I took the chance to pull him closer and kiss him. In his drunk state I saw him close his eyes in a trance for a moment before his eyes flew open in panic. And then, he was gone.

I was dazed and out of it, so I blinked a couple of times before it registered that I was alone on the sidewalk. I scratched my head to try and figure out what had just happened, and came to the conclusion that I must have imagined the whole thing. I mean, I hope.

Suddenly, I heard a loud mewling sound. I looked down at my feet. There was a lump of fabric shaking around. I am so drunk right now. I squatted down to look at the lump, and pulled the fabric up, to uncover some more loud and disgruntled meowing. It's a cat. When it saw me, it stopped meowing and just stared at me with its big cute eyes. I guess it had gotten caught in this pile of clothing somehow. I looked at it and smiled, unsure of how to respond. It tentatively stepped out of the crumpled shirt I was holding up.

Wait, whose clothing is this—? I held it to my face to smell it. The cat jumped in alarm.
"This smells familiar. Whose cologne...?" I looked at the cat. "Is this yours?" There was a shirt, belt, pants, shoes, all haphazardly in front of me. It was too dark for me to make out what color they were.

"Is this your bed?" I asked to the cat, which just stood there silently. I had expected it to run off soon. For a while we just looked at each other awkwardly, until I felt dumb for squatting there like that.
"Sorry kitty. I'm a little pathetic like this. But you shouldn't live on the sidewalk." I pushed the clothes and shoes away from the road under a bench. "I would take you home but I don't think cats like that. I think I'm a dog person, too." The cat just stayed in place, its ear twitching.

A cab arrived. "Hey! I might be hallucinating tonight, but at least Min Yoongi has the decency to call a cab."

I closed the door of the cab and told him the address. The driver had just started pulling out of the sidewalk when I yelled at him to stop. "Are you alright miss?" He asked in surprise.

I opened the door of the car, grabbed the clothes from under the bench and tucked them under my arm, and called for the cat with my arms stretched out. I could help but sense that it was lonely tonight, and the night was bound to be cold too. The cat hesitated for a moment before coming to me, and I picked it up quickly, plopping it over my shoulder like a baby or something.

The cab driver looked at me like I was crazy when I got back in the car, but I just told him to keep driving.

I placed the cat onto my lap. "There there. Don't look all sad. I'm here now." It was very well-mannered, because it only mewed once, yawned, and settled into my lap to sleep, bundled in the clothes I'd found it initially sleeping in. Once we got back to my apartment, I tried my best not to wake it up, and gently laid it down on my bed before plopping down and promptly falling asleep myself.