Moonshine and Smile

Jai's sleep was disturbed by a loud wail. He suddenly woke up and looked around in dark and scratched his head.

"Jai, this is your usual nightmare. Get back to sleep"

He said to himself and was about to get into his comforter when he felt a smack.

"What are you doing?"

He heard Vennela and opened his eyes wide. He turned to Vennela with questioned look and frowned still hearing the wail.

"Kala kaathu, its.."

"Her!"

He said and ran out from the bed to the crib nearby and saw their daughter wailing her lungs out. She had her face scrunched and his heart twisted.

"Oh oh.. Why ma, Naa amma.. Why are you crying?"

"The obvious. She is hungry!"

"Oh!"

He said and took her to Vennela who was already in a position to feed her. Jai placed her on Vennela's lap and was about to settle himself beside when he heard a knock. He opened to see Deva, Arjun and Manasa.

"What happened Jai? Why is she crying like this?"

"Hungry"

"Athi telusu ra bava. Our question is why was she crying for this long!"

"Ala adugu Arjun! During her birth, he fainted. And even now he is struggling. He thought her wailing was his dream and was about to get back to sleep."

Vennela said from inside making everyone chuckle.

"Jai! What is wrong with you man?"

"He is married to my sister. What else could be wrong with him Manasa."

Arjun said and got a smack from Manasa.

"Hey! What has Vennela been teaching you?"

He said.

"Inka rendu veyi Manasa. You arjun! Be happy that I am busy. Else you will get a smack from me too. He faints at his whim and sleeps away happily while my daughter is crying and you say I am wrong in his life?"

She said and then went on to look into the little bundle's needs.

"Spare him at least. Me getting hits from you is enough."

Jai mumbled and all three chuckled.

"Did you say something Bava?"

"No Vennela."

He said and looked at his father who smiled at him.

"I will take care Nana."

"I know Jai. I know you fainted out of the happiness of your daughter's birth. Vennela knows that too. But you know, Women don't let go off a chance to show our place. Careful nanna."

Deva said.

"True Mavaiyya!"

Arjun seconded him and Manasa gave him a glare.

"Enti Pedanana?"

"Anubhavam amma! Come lets go. They can take care. And Jai.. Have you decided on the name? We should call panthulu to confirm and do namakaranam."

"I will tell you tomorrow!"

Saying Jai closed the door after they left and sat beside Vennela slowly massaging her shoulders. Vennela leaned on him as she massaged the baby girl's feet and the little hands.

"Vennela?"

"Hmm.."

"Sorry.."

"Bava! When will it enter that thick brain of yours that we are parents now?"

"It has entered already. Its just that the feeling.. The happiness is too much for me. Its like I am blessed with my amma again!"

Vennela smiled.

"Remember how I kept telling that we will have a daughter?"

Jai nodded his head.

"Its because I know that you will feel happy seeing athaiyya in our baby."

She said reeling in the feeling of her Bava's hands slowly massaging her back now.

"Vennela.."

"I know.."

She said understanding his unsaid feelings.

"Bava! Do you have a name?"

"Liya"

He said and she chuckled. He looked at her in question.

"I thought of Laya."

She said and he chuckled at their choices.

"Bava.. how about"

"Laasyavi"

He said and Vennela was taken aback as she wanted to say Laasya.

"Bava?"

"It means smile."

Vennela smiled and it radiated in that darkness.

"You are my moonshine and she is a shine brighter as she brings smile in my face."

"Too poetic and cheesy!"

"Anything for my amma"

"Very bad Bava! Everything for her and me?"

"Like I said earlier you are collateral now."

He said and laughed happily earning a smack behind his head from Vennela. Their daughter slept with a smile on her face as her parents cribbed and complained and at last fell asleep in each other's arms.