I - According to Plan

†◄○◎●◎○►†

In two days from now, I am to be wed to a woman I have never met. I'm not much of a charmer, but I think I would be more comfortable with knowing this woman for more than two days before marrying her.

She's probably beautiful and deserves to be with someone who actually is up to her standards. But it's an arranged marriage, there's nothing either of us can do about it.

I awake this morning to the pale grey skies of my equally as dark and grey village. I huffed, rolling out of my bed. I cleaned myself up and put on the suit my mother insisted I wear for today's wedding rehearsal.

When I finish, I walk to the desk in my small bedroom across from my bed and sat down in the chair placed in front of it. I turn to a weathered page from my notebook and dip my feather pen into the small black ink tube.

I begin to softly grace my hand across the page, every now and then looking at the obscure blue butterfly that had flew into my room from the night before. I've never really been much of an aspiring lepidopterist, but when it sat on my windowsill in the darkness of night, almost glowing in the pale moonlight, I couldn't help but be tranced.

Everything and everyone in this town is cold, pale, gloom. As am I. It was such a contrast from anything I've seen here in my entire life.

When I finish my sketch of the profoundly blue butterfly, I sign it then close the notebook, putting it to the side of the desk where it was before. Then I lift the glass display case that had contained the insect.

I turn and focus as I watch as it flutters across the room in awe, not being able to restrain a smile on my face from spreading.

Just... beautiful.

Then it flys from the room out of the window above my desk. I feel my elation almost immediately deplete as it went out of eyeshot.

Back to gloom, just like that.

I hear my parents shuffling around the house and I knew they were heading downstairs to the front of the house, where Mayhew was more than likely on his way to send us off to the Everglot Residence. I was to met this young lady, Victoria, before we start rehearsing for the wedding.

I hear the sound of galloping steps in front of the house, and looked down from my window to see Mayhew sitting on the carriage with his horses. "I really have to do this...?", is what I think to myself, frowning at how soon he had gotten there.

I see my mother and father walk down the stairs and Mayhew lay his apron on his back on a puddle on the ground for my mother. I truly did wish mother would treat Mayhew better, but there was no convincing my mother to do anything she did not desire doing.

I watch and hear them conversing about how excited they were to have me be married to this woman so they would move higher up in society economically. It only made me groan and frown more.

Then as my mother is trying to step inside the carriage, my father and Mayhew have to help her fit inside the the door because of her petticoat as she explains to them.

"Where is Victor? We might be late!", I hear her say, making me sprint down the stairs and out of the house to where they were, waiting inside the carriage for me.