Dear Charlotte

I'm Charlotte Browne and yeah I know Charlie Browne haha, very funny but that's not the point. I'm adopted and I know I'm adopted I found out two and a half years ago on my 12th birthday. Back then I was happy with my adoptive parents but when my dad died my mom had changed, she started drinking and got engaged to her sleaze bag boyfriend Jerry, after that I stopped calling her mom I just called her Mary but I think she was too wasted to notice. One day Jerry came into my bedroom and raped me and that's when I knew I needed help I needed to find my real parents. I went up to the attack still not able to walk properly and I looked at my birth certificate all I saw was a faded name all I could make out was Olivia B after that it's all faded. Do you know how many Olivia Bs there are in the world how was I supposed to find her besides I'm in New York for all I know she could be on the other side of the world. Then I thought what every adopted child thinks at one stage why didn't she want me? Is she still alive? "Sophie!" Mary yelled interrupting my thoughts. If your wondering who Sophie is it's me that's what Mary wanted me to be called but my mother named me Charlotte so that's who I am. "Sophie!" she screamed again and I hurried down the stairs.

"What?" I asked coldly and she smiled.

"You got a letter" she said plonking it on the table I could tell she was sober because she wasn't abusive.

"I took the letter trembling, I was hoping and praying it wasn't from the school. I rushed to my room to open it. I began to read it to myself.

Dear Charlotte

I'm detective Stabler your mother has sent a couple of letters already but you haven't replied. I'm writing to you because your mother has been shot.

I stopped at that, shot! I thought tears in my eyes I continued to read.

She has wanted to meet you for awhile now and just as she was being rushed to theatre she told me to find you. I think she'll be OK you're mom is strong but I can't promise anything but I had to tell you I couldn't lie to her she'd know. Well I've got to wrap this up now.

I read the letter over and over then I realised that Mary was smiling because my mom might die! This made me furious I looked at the date and it was mailed six months ago. She must've been too wasted to remember. Well at least I had good news, the letter was mailed from New York but the bad news is my mom could be dead and I wouldn't even know. Then something occurred to me, why the hell was she shot? I decided to write to detective Stabler to find out.