Chapter 05: Ancient Author

"Considering the power we've already unleashed, and the potential still stored within the information of the book, I would advise caution with the next tests," Jaz warned as he and Alexis returned to the examination room.

"Why?" Alexis questioned. "We've discovered something that's been lost to the world for centuries."

"It was lost on purpose," Jaz replied. "Someone who knew all about the power contained therein buried the book in a cave rather than continue using it. Maybe they thought it too dangerous or powerful to be safe. Maybe there are side effects. We have no idea what we're dealing with, but the last person to own that book buried it. Perhaps we should defer to their greater knowledge."

"Do you want to put the book back?" Alexis asked.

"No," Jaz denied with a shake of his head. "I don't think the book is dangerous by itself because it sat in that empty cave for all these years without causing trouble in the surrounding area. I just don't think we should proceed with further experiments until we have a better idea what the full impact will be. We need to analyze the energy of the bones and sensor readings from the test chamber to find out if there are any negatives to unleashing this unique form of power."

"Alright," Alexis agreed. "You study all collected data so far, and I'll page through the book and see if there are any notes."

Jaz nodded his acceptance and turned toward one of the lab table computers to begin his research.  When Alexis spoke up, he swiveled around to face her.

"One thing," Alexis mentioned. "I think we should keep the existence of the book a secret."

"What for?" Jaz inquired. "I would've thought you'd want credit for its discovery."

"Normally, I would," she admitted. "However, I'm sure there are many in this city and this world who would see the book and its contained knowledge as a one way ticket to power. If we want to prevent the possible negatives you suggested, we'll have to make sure they don't learn about it in some manner, or they're sure to come and claim it."

"I see," Jaz responded. "Good idea."

As Jaz returned to his computer, Alexis sat down at a different work table to begin her own inspection of the book. She turned the pages carefully as the material crackled with the movement and Alexis was concerned she might accidentally destroy the information before being able to use it. Deciding to take precautions, she used a portable scanner to record each page into computerized format. She kept the files in a computer not connected to the network either directly or by transmitter, so the only people who would have access to the stored data would be either her or Jaz.

The information contained in the book was staggering in its variety and use. Putting on her goggles to translate the ancient script, she read entries on how to utilize the energy in powdered bone. Each page had a series of symbols along the top, followed by a detailed description of what they accomplished when carved onto bone. Alexis discovered the use of different bones for the same set of symbols altered the resulting effect to various degrees.

Alexis found an entry regarding preservation abilities, and a quick check of the bones on the cover showed it to be the same, telling her how the book had remained intact for so long. She wondered what else they could be used to preserve and for what duration. Putting the question to the back of her mind, she continued her search.

She read many items of interest, most notable were a few relating to the control of time. Alexis was fascinated and read every word. According to the book, the bone power could pause time around her, letting Alexis continue to behave normally while everything else was frozen in the span of a single nanosecond. Another recorded the information necessary to either accelerate or reverse time. Small variations were added for adjusting the range and speed of the area effected.

Excitement filled her as Alexis felt compelled to try a few experiments relating to time manipulation. Jaz's earlier words of caution came back to her mind, quelling most of her enthusiasm with the chilling uncertainty of why the previous owner had hidden such knowledge instead of using it.

Ignoring the remaining listings of powers and abilities, Alexis began flipping through the book at an even faster rate, looking for answers. Three quarters of the way through the thick tome, the instructional section ended, leaving page after page completely blank. She was beginning to wonder if the author had simply died between writing sessions and had been unable to return to the book, but the following page ended her speculation with a journal entry. It was written in the same ancient script as the rest of the text, so her goggles were able to translate it with equal ease.

The author had left a recording of his life after discovering the hidden power within bones. Alexis was transfixed, reading every word with unwavering attention. Each successful experiment and learned ability, sparking her own imagination as to how they could be used in her day.

"Jaz," Alexis called out. "Take a look at this."

Her research partner left his desk at her request and joined Alexis at hers. "What is it?"

"Apparently, an ancient shaman was the author," Alexis explained. "He tried to use the newly discovered abilities to help his tribe, but it only worked for a time."

"What happened?" Jaz prompted.

"Rebellion," Alexis answered, tapping the appropriate line of text when she found it. Reading along, she related the information to him. "Others wanted the power for themselves and tried to take it. The resulting war destroyed the entire tribe."

"Well, at least we know why the book was sealed away," Jaz stated.

"I don't think so," Alexis countered. She flipped through half a dozen more pages covered in writing at the back of the book. "A lot more happened before the end."

"The question is what," Jaz commented and Alexis found herself in total agreement.