Nihilos Draconum: Sacreia's Chapters (Chap 8)

Chapter Eight

Blow after blow the two landed upon the other like two wild beasts. Five minutes pass until they had worn the other out, their energy fading entirely leaving them to stare upon the other. “W-What happened?” asked Sacreia, her face and chest badly bruised. Lisandre covered her right eye once more with her hand. “I don’t know! You suddenly became wild and tried to kill me!” Lisandre exclaimed. Sacreia shrugged not remembering much of what happened, but did recall that Lisandre had also gone berserk. “You did the same though…”
“Did I…? I don’t remember. Anyway… You didn’t see my eye, did you?”
“I did, it was red, like mine. Is that why you hide it?”
Lisandre sighed heavily and dropped her hand to her lap. She had gone to great lengths to keep that eye hidden from others, and now it seemed that she feared what her friend may think of her because of it.
“You… Can’t begin to understand the pain this eye has brought to me and my mother. It’s the reason we travel from town to town… I get called a monster, children run from me, townsfolk avoid me and my mother. To put matters worse, I can’t even enroll in schools because of it.” she paused for a moment, her head lowering in shame. “So she had this eye patch made for me. It’s only helped slightly. Some people get curious, and pull it off without warning. Then… Well, you can imagine what happens after.”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean-“
“No, it’s okay. You didn’t know. But…” Lisandre lifted her head and stared upon Sacreia, eyes full of longing and searching for acceptance. “You don’t… Hate me do you? You don’t think I’m a monster, right?”
Sacreia crawled towards Lisandre and wrapped her arms around her friend tightly. Lisandre’s eyes went wide with surprise, and reluctantly returned the embrace. “I’ll never hate you. You’re my friend, and friends… Stick together, right?” Lisandre nodded, a smile crossing her thin lips.
“We’ll always be friends, won’t we?” Lisandre asked.
“Sure thing, friends to the end!” Sacreia says without hesitation.

The two girls were the best of friends, and for three years they were nigh inseparable. Each and every day they would play and train with the other. That is, until Lisandre and her mother vanished without a trace. Not a single soul remembered who they were, not even Sacreia’s mother. Only Sacreia remembered, and she knew not why. Had it all been a vivid dream? An illusion brought about by her increasing loneliness? Perhaps she’ll never know.

The next year had went by quickly, and Sacreia was met with despair at the loss of her friend. To put matters worse, it seemed as if her mother were slowly losing her mind. Every now and then Aneia would pace back and forth within the shed constantly mumbling unintelligibly. Could the stress from these years as a human’s toy finally caught up with her?
Aneia stared upon her daughter, eyes narrowing towards her with disdain. It was her fault. Her fault that she was here, living this life, having to suffer the way she is now. If only… She had disposed of the girl. What am I thinking? She…She cannot be blamed for my own mistakes… Sacreia is innocent in all this. I am at fault, not her. If only… Aneia sighed heavily and averted her gaze.
Perhaps I can goad her to leave this place, mayhap then she could live a better life. Yet… Aneia turned to her daughter once more, who stared up at her with that sweet smile she had always shown her. Sacreia would not leave me. She is like a lamb, who clings to their mother’s side. No matter what I tell her… She would deign to stay beside me. I don’t have a choice, do I? If it’ll mean saving her from this life, then mine own is a worthy enough price. Forgive me… Maybe you will understand what I must do when you come of age.

“Sacreia…” Aneia whispered. Sacreia’s ears perked up at the sound of her name and she stared upon her mother curiously. “I want you to run away, run… Far from here. As fast as you can. Okay?”
“Why mama? Why should I run? Are you coming with me?”
Just as I had thought. “No, I must stay behind. You’ll be fine, won’t you? You’re a strong girl. Be free, and escape from this place. Remember that mama will always love you.” 
“B-But mama…! I don’t want to leave without you, please come with me!” she begged.
It was too much to bear for Aneia, and there was no way out now save for…