Chapter 9

Chapter Nine

Sacreia returned to the spot of their first meeting, Miu’s bloodied corpse in hand. It was there she gave her pet a proper burial, grave marker and all. Upon the tree she carved Here lies Miu, who died over something foolish. May she know peace, and that mama will always love her. Each word was painful to carve into the tree’s black bark, the sadness still very fresh. Once more did she continue her wait for him… For another three years.

When will he return to her? Did he even remember? Was it all for nothing? These and many similar thoughts paraded through her mind constantly, her patience long gone. Over the course of four years, she’s done nothing but sit around here in wait for him only to be met with disappointment. Yet she could not feel any animosity towards him, deep down she felt he would one day return, or that they would meet again during other circumstances. I never did bother to explore anywhere outside the forest… Maybe I should. She thought to herself as she rose to her feet. Sacreia was fortunate Ryu had brought her so many different articles of clothing, but she always fancied  the tan cotton shirt, black leather breeches and the black long boots. They were a great deal more comfortable, albeit somewhat worn from how long she kept them on.

Sacreia ventured from the forest and into the great grassy plains of Lu’Dran, a place she had not bothered to previously wander. Today would mark her first adventure. She avoided the main road, knowing she may encounter other humans, and so she traveled a ways north walking through a field of wildflowers. For a time she was captivated by the view, the great disparity between their shapes and colors. Each bearing their own unique scent, or so she wanted to believe.  A farmstead came into view, one she grew immediately curious of. It was surrounded by a white picketed fence, and within were several large buildings, one a typical red farmhouse and the other your typical house.

Sacreia approached the fence curiously and stared upon the many cows that walked around within. A calf had approached the fence and looked up at her curiously. A smile crossed her lips as she knelt down and extended a hand towards it. It lapped at her with its thick tongue, and despite feeling a bit awkward, she relished the fact that the creature did not fear or hate her.  Animals like me surely enough. The door to the farmstead’s house shot open and a portly middle aged man clad in overalls sauntered out. I’d best leave before he sees me. Sacreia rushed off into the field running as fast as she could.

She’d lost track of where it was she ran, but now she seemed to be in front of another forest. This one a great deal darker than what she was accustomed to. An old wooden sign lay before it labeled Nreid Forest. A faint whisper called to her from within, beckoning her with a strange song. The forest was silent, there were no creatures present within, it left her with a feeling of dread. How could a place like this be so empty and void of life? The further she traveled, the more she felt as if she was being watched, as if every tree possessed a pair of eyes that stared upon her. The only sound her ears would pick up were those of her boots upon the grass.

A circular clearing came into view, within stood a great ivory pillar that stood at least twenty feet high, a strange pillar of concentrated sunlight shone upon it. The whispering song seemed to emanate from it. A pulse of energy escaped it and coursed through her, resonating with her body. Immediately she was drawn to it, she needed to touch it, to feel it, the strange song suddenly came to a halt the moment she placed her hand upon its smooth surface. It felt as if time stood still, the world slowly sinking away into a familiar darkness…

Once more did she find herself surrounded by darkness, Nelai’s domain. It’s been a great many years since the last time she found herself here. Any moment now, Nelai would show herself.
Hey, what would you say if I led you to the source of your suffering? The one who was responsible for everything. Your father… You could exact vengeance upon him! Nelai’s voice echoed throughout the area.
“How do you expect me to do that? I don’t have that kind of power, no weapons at my disposal, where would I even begin?”
Well, it is quite simple… Nelai emerged the same way she did the first time. Her body was of a woman’s and stood as tall as she. I can give you power. Power to change everything. To combat your father, to change the world…
Sacreia stared at her curiously and brought a hand to her chin in thought. Nelai has always helped her in some way. If her father possessed some sort of influence over her life, perhaps it would be best to stop him. “What kind of power are you intending to give me?”
A cruel smile came upon the woman’s face as she motioned a pale hand behind her. One tiny yellow spark shot out of the ground giving way to two rows of bright red flame that extended a great distance behind the woman. Between the two rows of flame stood a great red dragon that towered over the both of them.
I will awaken the power that slumbers within. The power of the Red Dragons.
Sacreia’s eyes widened at the sight of it and took several steps back in surprise. “W-What are you…?”  she muttered.