police

*i got the legal shit off a website so sorry if it's wrong*

Chapter Five ⇒ Police

Michael giggled as him and Luke talked, slowly getting closer to Michael's bus stop. 

"There's a car waiting at the bus stop." Luke observed. He could vaguely see a car parked there and as he got closer, he could see more than one car and flashing lights. 

Furrowing his eyebrows, Michael looked out his window as well. "It's probably my mum. I don't know why she'd want to pick me up at the bus stop, though." He explained, confusion filling his eyes when he noticed the flashing lights also. 

The bus stopped and Luke opened the door. Standing outside at the bus stop was three police officers and Michael's parents. 

"Lucas Hemmings, please step off of the bus. Anything you say can and will be held against you in the court of law." The police officer standing closest to the bus announced firmly, his large arms crossed over his chest. 

Luke's heart was practically stopped and he was certain he had stopped breathing. Michael could tell by how pale Luke had gotten. He felt bile rising in his throat and he didn't question or argue because he could pretty well guess what happened. Michael's parents found out. 

Slowly, Luke unbuckled his seat belt the climbed off of the bus. Almost immediately, one of the other policemen grabbed and dragged him over to the police car. Luke was pushed down onto the hood of the car while the policeman handcuffed his hands behind his back. 

Michael came barreling off the bus not that long later. "What the hell is going on?" He shouted in fear, looking around panickedly until he made eye contact with him mum. "What's happening? What did you do?" 

"Mr. Hemmings, you're under arrest for the sexual assault of Michael Clifford." The police officer who had handcuffed Luke announced. Luke seemed devastated but Michael looked beyond furious. 

"Sexual assault? Luke didn't sexually assault me! Who the fuck even reported that?" Michael raged, his little hands clenched tightly into fists to the point where his knuckles were burning white. 

Mrs. Clifford cleared her throat and Michael spun towards her quickly. "We wanted to protect our baby." She said gently as Mr. Clifford slung his arm over his wives shoulders. 

Michael's nostrils flared in anger. "What the fuck?! What makes you assume Luke has 'sexually assaulted' me?" He challenged, tightly crossing his arms over his chest. 

"Don't act like we haven't seen the hickeys, Michael. Or overheard the late night calls with 'Lukey'. We simply put the puzzle pieces together. Your bus drivers name is Luke, you always leave to get on the bus early and we called Mrs. Hood to confirmed you have never hung out with Calum after school." Mr. Clifford explained, shooting up one of his eyebrows at Michael. "And, you aren't denying it now." 

The anger on Michael's face slowly subsided into sadness. "Well... Yeah, we had something, but he never sexually assaulted me! All of the things we did were mutual." He argued feebly, practically knowing what was coming up next. 

"Michael, how old are you?" The police officer asked. 

Michael sighed shakily. "16." 

"And you, Mr. Hemmings?" The officer continued. 

Luke stayed quiet for a bit but then mumbled something inaudible. The officer nudged him to speak louder and Luke seemed terrified. "23." He spoke out loud and frowned when he heard Mrs. Clifford whimper. 

"My sons innocence has been ruined by a pedophile, Daryl." She quietly whimpered to her husband and he attempted to comfort her with hugs and quick kisses on the head. 

As Luke was pushed into the back of the police car, Michael attempted to run for him but the officer who had told Luke to get off the bus held him back. 

Michael fought the tears from falling as he struggled against the officers grip. "I love you, Luke!" He shouted quickly before the car door shut. "Everything will be alright!' 

+

Luke sat on the cold bench that was cemented to the cell wall, nervously tapping his toes against the ground as the police officer sorted through Luke's things that were scattered on the desk. 

"Mr. Hemmings," He finally boasted, standing up and walking to the bars that separated Luke and him. "I will read you your rights then you'll be escorted to the interrogation room to be questioned. Is that clear?" 

"Crystal." Luke grumbled, not even looking up at the officer. He missed Michael already. His cute, fluffy hair and his toothy smile; the way his eyes lit up when Luke said he was going to take him out somewhere or how he turned into a complete kitten when cuddling. 

The officer cleared his throat. "You have the right to an attorney or a lawyer, one phone call, medical help if you're feeling ill and to see the Codes of Practice if extremely necessary." He read off of a little paper he had pulled from his pocket. 

Luke just nodded but his head shot up when he heard the jail cell door open. 

He was led down a long corridor to an unsettingly room he guessed was the interrogation room. He took the required seat across from another officer and awkwardly settled his hands in his lap. 

"Mr. Hemmings?" She spoke sickeningly sweet. Luke nodded. 

She smiled. "Let's get straight to the point here. Why did you do it?" She asked, leaning forward on the desk with her chin in her palm. 

Luke bowed his head. "I love him." He whispered inaudibly, twiddling his thumbs and watching them like it was the most riveting thing he'd ever encountered. 

"What was that, Lucas?" The officer asked, showing Luke a toothy smile that he really just wanted to punch right off her face. 

"It's Luke," Luke grunted through his gritted teeth. His teeth felt like they could break off because he was gritting them so hard. "And I said, I love him."

The officer seemed amused by this answer. "Are you aware that he's a 16 year old boy and couldn't possibly know what love is?" 

'Did you know you're an ignorant sack of shit?' Luke wanted to answer but he stayed completely silent, watching as his thumbs practically dueled to the death. 

"Are you aware that it's illegal to have sexual intercourse with someone who is underage?" She continued, gently biting on the end of her pen as she curiously watched Luke. 

Luke swallowed a thick lump in his throat. "Yes." 

She rose an eyebrow and jotted something down on her notepad. "Why did you do it then, Hemmings?" She asked without looking up. 

"I didn't think anyone would find out." Luke truthfully answered then sighed. "And it was in the moment. Wasn't really thinking, you never really do when you're in that situation because you're more focused on the other person; not the law."

The officer just hummed as if she was really paying attention to what Luke had been saying. "Well, Mr. Hemmings. It's been nice," She announced, standing up. "But I must get going. See you in court, yeah?" 

With that, the officer left and Luke was left to silently mope over his longing for Michael.