Guardian

The sun glowed a deep yellow orange as it neared the horizon when Ironhide stopped in front of Will Lennox's house. The young Captain pressed eagerly against the passenger door handle upon seeing his long missed home. Being away from his family for so long and facing the incredible battles of the past few days was more than any man could handle.

Ironhide's gravelly voice rumbled through the air vents, "This is where your family unit lives?"

Will paused, cracking the door halfway, "Yeah. Not a bad patch of Earth eh?"

The black Autobot scanned the surrounding area, "It has optimal visual range to spot any potential attack, but I see no outer defenses for your dwelling."

The man smirked, "Yeah, well, a man's castle is not necessarily his fortress."

Ironhide scanned the internet quickly for such an unusual reference.

Lennox waved his hand dismissively at the Autobot's silence "Never mind, I'm just saying I never planned on my home being a target."

Quite abruptly Ironhide shut his door making Lennox frown with confusion, "Hey, what are you doing? Let me out."

"I don't think you comprehend the potential danger you are in Captain Lennox." Ironhide's voice warned seriously.

Lennox got nervous all of a sudden. "Are you threatening me?"

"No." Ironhide assured, "It's just, some of the Decepticons are unaccounted for. Decepticons are well known to take revenge on our allies."

Captain Lennox settled back a moment, trying to let the dire news settle in. "Then I...my family is in danger?"

"The probability is high." Ironhide confirmed with no amount of tact.

The weapon's specialist could feel the man's blood pressure rise and his heart rate increase. He wasn't as well versed on human physiology as Ratchet but he could tell the man was agitated by the news. But, he didn't know what he could do about it. Humans always seemed too high wired anyway.

Carefully he opened the door to let the Captain out.

"Thanks for the ride big guy." Lennox said softly.

The man jumped out with his bags and slowly walked up to his home, his steps measured with worry. Ironhide didn't see it. All the old veteran knew was he had achieved his objective of delivering the Captain as Optimus ordered. Quickly he shut his door and turned around to rendezvous with the other Autobots. He got a couple miles before his communicator beeped.

"Ironhide, report." Optimus's voice suddenly broke through his internal communicator.

"Ironhide, here. I have safely delivered Captain Lennox to his family unit and am making my way east bound toward the meeting coordinates." he confirmed.

"Belay that order old friend." Optimus stated. "I have a new order for you."

Ironhide felt confused but willing, "And that is?"

Optimus's deep voice became introspective, the way it did when he was talking about humans. "You know Bumblebee has chosen to be Sam's guardian and Ratchet has opted to work in the human's healing service."

"Yes. What of it?"

Optimus continued, "And you also know the potential threat the Decepticons still pose to our human comrades?"