Starved [TW: ED]

"Meredith." Christina's voice was grave. Meredith turned around suspciously. "What is it? Who's sick? Derek? Zola?" "It's Lexie." Meredith's eyes widened. "Lexie? What happened? Is she okay?" "I found her passed out in the bathroom." "Why?" "You'll need to talk to Lexie about that." "Christina if you know something-" "It can't come from me Mer, you just have to trust that she'll tell you." "I'm going to see her." "Room 205." Christina replied, knowing Meredith wanted her room number. "Good luck, I'm going to check on a patient." "Damn it I have to do rounds." Christina took her best friend's clipboard from her hand. "Go, I'll take your patients." "Will I be that long?" Christina took a deep breath. "I think so Mer, yeah." "It's bad isn't it." Meredith realised. "She needs you." Meredith nodded. "Thanks Christina." "It's fine, go to Lexie." Meredith found herself running down the corridor, only stopping at door 205. "Lexie." The raven haired girl looked up at her sister like a deer in headlights. "Meredith? How did you find me?" "Christina. What happened?" "I'm fine." "Hardly, Christina told me you passed out." "It was just low blood sugar." "I'll go and get you a snack from the cafeteria, what do you want?" "No it's okay." "Yes, you need to get those levels up-" "I said no!" Lexie yelled defensively at her older sister. "Lexie.." "What?" The girl refused to look at Meredith, she couldn't. "There's more to this isn't there?" Meredith came closer and sat down. "Talk to me." Lexie felt tears prick in her eyes. "I can't." "Of course you can, you can always talk to me, I'm your sister, I love you." "I know, I love you too Mer, I'm sorry." Lexie mumbled. She watched her sister take her hand. "C'mon Lex, tell me what's wrong." Lexie closed her eyes and mumbled something. "What was that?" "I-I can't." "I can look at that chart or you can tell me, I'd much prefer the latter." Lexie took a deep breath and nodded. "In your own time." There was a pause before the girl spoke softly. "I haven't been eating." "Why not? Is your stomach hurting? Do you feel sick?" Meredith asked quizzically. "No, I mean, sort of. It's complicated." Meredith chuckled slightly. "We're Greys, everything is complicated in this family." Lexie smiled softly at her sister's words. "Yeah, I guess you're right there." Meredith simply squeezed her sister's hand, a silent signal for her to continue. Lexie looked down at their held hands, she couldn't look her sister in the eye when she admitted the truth. "I have an eating disorder Mer." Meredith frowned. "What?" "I'm anorexic." Lexie sighed. The woman was stunned. She couldn't quite comprehend her words. Lexie's eyes filled with tears, threatening to spill over. "Meredith please say something." Lexie pleaded. Meredith still couldn't find her words, but she desperately needed to. "Are you mad at me?" She asked, her voice cracking. "What? No Lexie of course I'm not mad at you, I just, I can't believe I didn't see it myself." "I hid it, you didn't see it because I made sure you didn't know." "God Lex, I'm so sorry." "It's okay." "It's not okay Lexie. Did Christina put you on a glucose drip?" Lexie nodded slowly. "Yeah." "How do you feel about it?" "Honestly?" "Honestly." "I hate it, I hate myself, I hate that you know the truth. God I hate everything, everything sucks." Lexie's tears began spilling down her cheeks, sobs following. Her sister immediately pulled her into a tight hug and held her. Meredith's heart broke for her younger sister, she loved Lexie more than she thought she ever could. At first, she had to admit that she kind of resented her. She was the child that her father stuck around to raise. But she grew fond of her, her sister didn't give up on getting to know her, and Lexie was a great person. Meredith began to let her in and love her back, once she allowed herself to, and with time their bond only grew stronger. She felt her sister fist the back of her scrubs, clinging to her sister like her life depended on it. Meredith just stayed there, she would stay as long as she needed her to. She knew Christina would cover her patients for her. Meredith rubbed her sister's back soothingly as she cried hysterically into her shoulder. "I got you, it's okay I got you." "I'm sorry." Lexie whimpered. "I'm so sorry Meredith." "Hey don't apologise, don't you dare. It's not your fault. None of this is your fault." "I love you Mer." "I love you too Lexie, I'm not going anywhere." Meredith moved one hand up to stroke her sister's hair, running her fingers through her locks gently. Lexie shook her head in her shoulder, no meaning behind the gesture. "Please stay." "I'm staying right here, I'm not leaving you." "I'm scared." Lexie whispered. "I know you are." "What happens now?" Meredith pulled back from the hug and cupped her sister's face, wiping her tears away with the pads of her thumbs. "Now we get you better, we fight this, together." Lexie was shaking her head already. "No I can't, I've tried, I'm not strong enough." "Yes you are, don't forget, you're a Grey. Greys are strong, and this time you're not fighting alone, this time you have me. I'm right here battling this with you." Lexie nodded and allowed Meredith to wrap her up into another protective hug. For the first time in a long time, she felt safe. "It's gonna be okay Lex, okay? I promise."