Chapter Six

(River)

She sank into bath, allowing the heated water to soothe her aching flesh. River stared at the curved ceiling, her mind reeling with the events of the previous night. Her stomach coiled, the area between her legs refusing to be silenced. Despite having spoken very little, Asher had made his desire for her known. A small shudder made its way down her spine.

River was no fool. She knew that Asher ached for her even before last night. What she did not expect was that she would return the sentiment. Part of her had been desperate to feel the softness of his lips on.... other parts of her. She had withdrawn only because she had not trusted herself.

River had no experience in dealing with such emotions. She'd never had to before. She sank lower into the water. The heat did nothing to settle her mind. Her body still ached for the promise his lips had held as he'd ravished the inside of her wrist. His eyes had remained on her face, never once look away. She knew, if given the chance, Asher would not hesitate to take her to bed.

A soft knock at the door shattered her illusion. She flinched, hands moving to cover her exposed flesh. Instead of waiting for an invitation to enter, Nira gave herself permission to enter. An arm full of linen, she waddled into the room without a word. She set the linen to the side, turning to face River.

"I saw you and the Master last night."

River's cheeks turned to flame, "I do not know what you think you saw but.... -"

Nira barked in amusement, "You'd have to be blind not to see that Master fancies you."

She sank even lower into the water. Nira was not a lady of refinement, that much was certain. She reminded her a bit of some of the brothel girls she had stumbled upon during her earlier days as an orphan. Planting her hands square on her hips, Nira tilted her head.

"Question is, do ya fancy him?"

That was not a question River was willing to answer. In all honesty, she didn't have an answer. She felt...something for Asher but she could not put a name to such emotion. Nira was not having her silence. She strolled over to the tub, kneeling as best she could.

"Asher is good to me. He's good to all his staff." She brushed some hair from her own face, "You need to sink your claws into him before he loses interest."

River blinked. Surely Nira was not suggesting what it sounded like? The heavily pregnant young girl struggled back to her feet. A soft groan fell from her lips. She busies herself for a moment with putting the linen in place before shifting her attention back to the bathing River.

"Master takes his evening tea in the study." She gave her a wink, "You should take it to him in my place. Make yourself available to his...needs."

Nira departed after that. River could not fathom where she had gotten the idea that she would accept such an idea. River was not experienced in the ways of man. Even if she so desired, she wouldn't even know where to begin.

The bath having lost its appeal, the young girl climbed from the tub. She snatched a linen towel from where Nira had placed it, drying herself quickly. She slipped into one of the dresses provided by Asher. Wandering back into her room, she pauses to gaze upon her reflection. She did not see beauty. She saw a broken thing, something beyond repair.

Movement in the glass caught her attention. Asher stood in the doorway; arms crossed over his chest. She could see the way his eyes so freely roamed her exposed flesh. A flash of anger appeared before he managed to smother it. She knew what he saw. Though now healed, her back was a map to all the suffering she had experienced. She had been lashed on more than one occasion.

River struggled to lace the back of her gown, having not realized until that point that it would take at least two people to properly suit the gown. Without a word, Asher stepped forth. The door shut behind him.

"Allow me." He murmured, coming to stand behind her. His hands dipped to where the laces of the gown started. He didn't immediately lace the dress. His fingertips caressed the small of her back, tracing one of her many scars.

"You've experienced such pain in your short years upon this earth." He commented, his hands continuing their delicious assault upon her flesh. She did not respond. She feared the tremble in her voice would give her away.

He finally began to lace the dress. He moved slow, taking time to lay eyes on her. When, after what felt a century of torture, he finally finished he did not immediately move away. His hands moved to her waist, fingers digging into the flesh just above her hips.

"The foal survived the night." He whispered. His lips were practically touching her, his hot breath washing across her shivering flesh.

"That.... that's good." She managed to speak, doing her best to control her voice.

His eyes flickered to the mirror, meeting his gaze. His eyes were as black as the evening sky, his desire flashing like that of a star. One hand left her waist, moving upwards. He touched a strand of hair, a faint smile touching his lips.

"It would be my honor if you would join me for dinner this evening. I've some business in town this morning but I will be back before the setting of the sun."

River watched in utter fascination as his lips touched the crook of her neck. She bit back a whimper. He did not kiss her the way he had the night before. It was more a chaste kiss than one of passion. He stepped back. He dipped his head and backed from the room, not even awaiting her reply. Somehow, he knew what her answer would be without her having to even speak it.

Her body still shaking, River crossed to her bed. She sunk into it. She struggled to catch her breath. Her fingers lifted to where his lips had touched. Flames licked at her, refusing to abate. If he continued such action, River feared what would happen. She knew Asher would be a generous lover, that he would not force her into anything she was not ready for. Alas, River did not know if she would ever be ready.

She lifted herself from the bed, smoothing the wrinkles in her dress. Asher would be gone. She would busy herself for the remainder of the day, anything to keep her mind off dinner and just what he had planned.