Chapter Eight

(River)

"You cannot be serious."

Nira's eyes lifted from her place on the floor, fingers pausing their work. Her eyebrow lifted, amusement dancing across her lips. River's cheeks flushed. Nira had insisted on offering her assistance to River that night. She had plucked one of her own dresses, one that she had worn before falling into her current condition and was now making the necessary alterations.

"He won't be able to resist." Nira offered in response.

River could not bring herself to scold the young girl for her suggestion once more. She could not fathom the reasoning behind such words. Did Nira honestly believe River capable of such a thing? She could barely tolerate his hands upon her flesh much less how it would feel to....

She shivered. She couldn't even finish the thought. Nira simply shook her head, rising. "There. It is finished."

It was River's turn to lift an eyebrow. The dress held a plunging neckline that left little to the imagination. A slit, provided by Nira's delicate hands, offered a glimpse of what was offered beneath it. The sleeves fell from her shoulders, leaving them bare and open.

Nira laid comforting hands upon her shoulders, "Do not fear the master, River." Her lips half tilted into a smile.

"I fear all men." River found herself speaking, "My initiation from child to woman was not an easy one. It ruined me."

Sympathy flashed across Nira's face, "Is Asher aware of this?"

River shook her head. "No. And I do not wish him to. If he did..."

If Asher were ever to find out the extent of her brokenness, River was sure he would no longer wish to bed her. The longing in his eyes, the intense desire he was clearly held for her, would vanish. She was sure he would allow her to remain beneath his roof but would have no further need of her.

Nira nodded, no further words needed between them. Bidding River farewell, she disappeared from the dimly lit room. River was left to her own devices. Plucked an unused candle from the bedside table, igniting it with the one that hung on the wall. Surely Asher had returned from his travels.

Closing her door, River cautiously made her way down the winding staircase. Row after row of candles lit her way but just barely. It took her eyes a moment to adjust to the darkness. Not even the dining area was well lit. It had been explained to River that Asher preferred to dine in darkness or as close to darkness as could be managed.

There was no sign of Asher as River floated into the dining area. The master table lay before him, two plates resting on top of the cherry wood. She took a step forward, candle quivering between nervous fingers. She set the candle to the side. Before she could slide into the provided chair, the dining area door announced a new arrival.

River froze. Their eyes met for the briefest of moments before his gaze travelled lower. Hunger unlike anything she had ever seen flickered across his shadowed features. He didn't even try to hide the animalistic urges that ran rampant through his mind. He took a step towards her. He paused. He turned towards the massive dining area doors and, with near painful precision, shut them. He stood there, facing the doors, for what felt an eternity before turning to face her once more.

"Where did you get that dress?" He whispered.

"Nira offered it to me." Her hands dropped to her side, fingers caressing the light material, "Do you not like it?"

His tongue ran across his lower lip, the candlelight casting a seductive glimmer of light in his eyes. "I never said I did not like it." He murmured.

With graceful steps of purpose, Asher made quick work of the distance between them. River inhaled sharply, the feel of his hands running along her bare shoulders both confusing and exhilarating her.

"Was your trip fruitful?" River inquired to distract herself from the growing flames currently licking at her center.

His lips tilted into a half smile. "I suppose you could say it was." One hand dropped from her skin, reaching to tug something from his pocket. He dangled a locket before her. The piece of jewelry was something she thought she would never see again.

With a gasp, she snatched the locket from his grip, "How did you find this? I thought it gone forever."

"I went to the Orphanage. The.... foul owner had this around her own neck. I did not realize the significance of it at first."

River turned the small stone in her hand, grazing the engraving that so clearly spelled out her name. It was the last remaining remnant of her past, something that connected her to her forgotten past. She didn't remember the woman that had birthed her nor the man that claimed to be her father. She grew up a street urchin before finding her way to the Orphanage.

She blinked against the tears, quickly wiping them from her cheeks. Her face tilted upwards. "Thank you." Her voice broke.

He cupped her face between rough palms. His spoke of the tenderness he felt towards her more than his words ever could. Asher could not know just how much the simple gesture of returning a lost locket meant to her.

"Could you?" She held the locket to him. He took it, allowing her to turn. She pulled the hair from around her neck, allowing him to slide the cool metal around her neck. It rested between the small of her breasts as if it had never left. His touch lingered. His fingertips wandered from the chain out to her bare shoulders.

"I want you to know you are safe with me." He murmured, "I would do nothing to harm you."

She turned to face him, "I know. I cannot explain it but I feel...safe."

One hand moved to her face, the other circled her waist. His body pressed against her own, igniting every inch of her with aching flames of desire. "I would like to kiss you now....if that pleases you."

River inhaled sharply. Yet another first for her. He was asking permission. Her eyes drifted over his features, a soft smile rising to her lips. The moment she spoke the word, that valuable word that gave him permission, Asher leaned towards her. It started soft, hesitant almost. His lips brushed against her own. River's heart fluttered, breath hitching in anticipation. Her hands lifted, palms resting against his chest.

When he pulled away, a flicker of disappointment entered her chest. It did not last long. He leaned in once again. The kiss was deeper, more forceful than before. His grip tightened. His hand moved around the back of her neck, holding her in place. There was no where else River wanted to be.

She melted into his touch. If he had pushed further, River had doubt she would have offered him anything. Instead, Asher pulled back. "Tis time to eat, I think." He breathed, running his thumb across her lower lip.

Her entire body quivering, she nodded, "Very well."