Decisions

Beck's Pov

While Mari and the rest play games at night, I write a letter. I explain everything that has befallen the North Court and her newest residences. My hope is Val will back off. But my gut tells me he won't.

Prince Val,

My deepest apologies, but I will have to politely decline your request to hand you, your captain and your fiancé. Both have been offered positions here in my Father's court. They have accepted their roles and, in doing so, have severed ties with Amberanian. In closed with this letter are two copies of their contracts. Again my deepest apologies. If you attempt to take them back, the North will push back. That is not a threat but a promise.

Sincerely,
Beck Prince of Kaliste, the North Court

I fold up the letter and the copies of the contracts. Then I fold them within a thicker piece of paper and seal that with wax. This should do it. If not, Val will march upon Vitaris. A bigger problem indeed.

"Beck, come see this!"

I look over at Myla. In her hands is Mari's sketchbook. Mari may have an inch on Myla, but Myla is creative. The smaller female uses her leg to keep the book out of Mari's reach. "Myla! Give it back,"

Myla mutters about showing me a stunning work. It seems she knows I'll love it. She just about says so.

"Hang on, let me just send this letter." I flick my wrist, and the letter disappears into thin air. Myla grins as I walk over. Mari relaxes. "What is so important?"

"This!" Myla shoves the sketchbook in my face. I step back to let my eyes adjust to the paper. On the paper is me, staring back at me. 

"Spirits!"

"Holy fae, it's terrible. I knew I should have taken to writing instead!" She covers her face with her hands. The tips of her ears turn bright red. She continues to freak out.

"Mari...Mari...Mari!" I gently grab her by her shoulders to get her attention. "Your drawing is the best I have seen since the passing of the art Curator."

Slowly she takes her hands off her face. She looks at me with big eyes. "Really?" 

I give her the biggest grin I can and nod. "Truly,"

"Thank you." She says meekly. 

I take her by her arm and lead her over to the balcony. This particular balcony overlooks the entire upper, middle and lower towns. I glance down at the tall yet small woman beside me and smile. I can't imagine someone else by my side. Even though I've known her for two days, she feels like a missing piece. "Wow, it's so beautiful."

"She is,"

We stand here for the longest time--listening to our silence and the chatter of the towns. In the distance, the lower town is alight with nightlife. Many will be at one of the taverns, and some will be at home. On occasion, Mylo drags me to the lower town to help put on shows at a festival. Many fond memories are with Mylo performing skits.

I hope Val's following letter will be less threatening and more accepting. In the chance of an attack, the middle town would be evacuated as the guard would take it over. It's the closest to the main pass through the mountains. The path runs from the mountain pass directly to the middle town and the castle. 

The upper and lower towns will host those that stay and will become a stronghold of sorts. Kalisté is the only Kingdom to be surrounded by mountains. The mountains make the North a hassle to get to. Unless Val takes portals, if he does, it will exhaust his mages before the battle even begins. If he does use his mages like that, those with magic will be spent. Those without magic will have to lead the battle, and they will lose.