High Council of Seraphine

21 Rigel, 13006

"Do you think Val will be there?" I ask Beck.

He was waiting for me outside the throne room. A sweet gesture. He knows I'm nervous. How could I not be? I'm about to see my father since I fled Amberanian. Then there's the possibility of Val, the male I fled from.

"He was given strict instructions to either produce a legitimate heir or wait fifty years," Beck says, scooping my face into his warm hands.

A legitimate heir or wait fifty years. Hard choice. He'll have to marry to have a child. A bastard wouldn't count, and the poor child. I'd hate to have Val as my father.

In a way, I do have someone like Val for a father. Both are deceptive. They believe their rule is a divine right from the spirits and take what they want or try to without care for others. It's despicable.

"He has to marry,"

"If he doesn't, it will be considered a bastard, and his ban will stand,"

"That poor child," I mutter. My hands slide on top of Becks, and I remove them from my face. I hold them between my own. "Let's hope he waits fifty years,"

"I pity the female who ends up marrying him,"

So do I.

"I was supposed to be that female," But that is not my fate. Not anymore. I escaped when I had the chance. I chose to be here. I chose this life and would not give it up for anything. Except to save my mate. 

"Not anymore,"

"Quite true," I smile to myself and at the brilliant male I'm holding hands with. "Now I have a purpose,"

"Are you two ready?" Kerri asks, poking her head into the hall.

"I am, are you?" Beck searches my eyes, looking for a shred of doubt—anything so we can stand here a moment longer.

But we have to go. We're late as is.

"I am," I nod.

"Good, the portal is open."

Beck offers me his arm. I take it. Together we enter the throne room. Mylo stands by the portal on the wall with Myla on his arm, Darrian and Bianca. They're here to see us off. Last time I was among them as Beck left for Altearia.

Today I go with Beck to Risadona. I am, after all, his betrothed. But the council doesn't know that. They don't need to know that. 

Bianca, tight-lipped as ever, nods to me. After our ordeal, we stumbled upon an understanding. Neither of us like it when the other leaves the kingdom. This is the first time one of us has left Kaliste. The marking on our arms has tingled since I woke up this morning. I can tell Bianca is nervous. It settled when Beck reassured me about Val.

Thankfully Val will not be there.

Kerri envelopes Beck and me in a tight goodbye hug. It's short but meaningful. She then pats our backs and sends us off.

Beck and I travel through the portal. Travelling through portals has always amazed me. Then when I first went through one, I realized it was pretty disorienting. When the fog lifts from our vision, we stand in the courtyard of Risadona's castle.

Standing on a terrace is King Hayes. With him are his wife and his daughters, Krike and Esme. When the young females spot me, they sprint from the balcony and into the castle. One can only assume they are eager to see me.

I am eager to see them. There is much to discuss. 

King Hayes won't mind if I steal his daughter's attention for an hour. His wife can play the gracious host. It won't kill her; if I remember correctly, she loves hosting. King Hayes, on the other hand, not so much. One or two visitors, sure but eleven kings...not his forte.