chapter fifteen

"how are you doing?" Stephanie asked smiling ear to ear. I was happy to see her and this time in my house, not the station.

"I'm fine" I said. I was also happy to be released but my mind was not at ease, I was glad john and his gang will or might be facing justice but I was curious to know what made them end up at the station.

"so, to what do we owe this visit?" my father asked trying to kick start a conversation.

"yes, the reason I'm here" she cleared her throat and continued "I took Arthur's case to be something personal because I know what it means to lose a loved one. I gathered an intelligence team and some of my men were what most people call 'moles' in the gang.

"the people you sent gave you the information required to apprehend john and his gang members" I jumped into conclusion.

"one of them was able to record a conversation between Charles and john, he sent to recording to me and I to the main officers in charge of your case" after talking, she placed a device on the table and pressed paly.

"hold on, let me get aunt Dise" I paused the radio-like device and ran upstairs to call aunt Dise who was asleep but nevertheless, she woke up.

When we both came down, I resumed the recording. We all sat down but leaned towards the device so as to get every single word that was being spoken.

"he might still get out" Charles was the first to speak.

"I know, we need something bigger to frame him, he needs to learn a lesson for saying no to us" john spoke as if he was vexed.

"how about Luke?" Charles said

"what about him? What do you mean?" john asked.

"we both know that he's a liability, he has a problem with keeping his mouth shut, what if he rats us out" Charles said.

"what are you suggesting?" john asked

"we get rid of Luke and lead all evidence to Arthur" Charles gave a sinister laugh as he spoke.

"how?" john asked.

"remember how you got his prints from his phone for Hillary's case? You placed a tape over the prints on his phone and transferred it to the gun, you could do it again!" Charles exclaimed excitedly.

"you're right!" john join in Charles merriment.

"tell the gang to device a means to get his print or even a hair from his brush would be good enough" Charles said

"Charles, you have no idea how much I despise him. you know? The only reason I killed his mom was because I knew he was watching, I wanted..." the tape ended.

The revelation left me speechless, I guess they were smart but not smart enough since they were caught. "it's getting late; I need to go now but I'll keep in touch" Stephanie hugged me as she spoke.

"thank you so much" aunt Dise said to her.

The 'goodbyes' were said and we saw her out. Now everything was settled, I had a feeling I have not felt in a long while, peace. We went for a short walk, something I've never done with my father. He held my hand as we walked down the quiet streets.

"this calls for a celebration, we got through the traumatic situations!" aunt Dise danced as she spoke.

"indeed it does" my father agreed with her. I was so happy that everything was over, Hillary and my mother might not be with me but at least they got justice and that was all I ever wanted for them.

"let's head back, we'll get the car and go out and have some fun" my father said.

We got the car and set out but I had no idea where we were headed because my father said it was a surprise. As we drove, my favourite song was playing on the radio, I could not keep myself quiet.

"you've got a really nice voice" my father smiled at me.

"I guess so; I actually take lessons at school" I laughed.

"watch out!" aunt Dise screamed.