1

"I know it's cold," I wrapped myself around the quivering boy, sat in a ball between by legs. "I know it's cold, but we'll be outta here soon."

My words did nothing to calm him, his body, covered in slick sweat still quivered. He was a petite boy, very small for his age, which he'd told me was 13. His eyes slowly closed, the gap between life and death shrinking dangerously fast.

"Hey, let's sing that song you like. How does it go again?" I asked, desperately trying to keep the boy alive. Too many people have died at the hands of this, thing. This evil. But I knew, I could tell that this boy was not going to be one of them. He was a fighter, a warrior even.

The name Will Byers would go down in history.

"So c-come on and let me know," He stuttered, weakened by malnutrition, exhaustion and all other hardships that the upside down had forced upon him. "Should I stay or should I go?"

"Come on, Will. Your mom's coming for you." I smiled down at him. "Just gotta wait a few minutes, you can do that, can't you, Will?"

I heard voices, and he heard them too.

"Mom." He tried desperately to call out.

"Over here!" I yelled. "Hold on, Will." I stood, wrapping the boy in my jacket.

"Over here!" I ran in the direction of the voices, that appeared to call back at me. "Over here!"

There were 2 people, my ears did not deceive me. They seemed shocked to see me. They'd come down into hell for one child, and found another, that's if you'd call me a child. I would be 16 now at least, should my perception of time be even slightly accurate.

One of these people, a large man of around 6 foot 2, not by any means huge, but with a gargantuan presence. His broad shoulders and heavy brow gave an impression of raw toughness. His face, not by any means angry, but his features stiff and stern, maybe even a little melancholy.

The other, a small woman, unmistakably Will's mother. Small but mighty. Her doe eyes matched exactly her sons, her tired face full of anguish and determination. She stared at me through the hazmat suit she was wearing, her wolfish amber eyes like limpid pools of molten gold, begging for her son.

"Over here." I called again, running back over to where I'd left Will. Trailing behind me came the mysterious oaf, and Will's mother. She saw him there, overcome by what seemed to be every emotion known to man, leaping at her boy.

"Hop!" She cried, picking up the boy by the shoulders as best she could and cradling him. "Help me!"

She showed Will's face for a moment, 'Hop' getting down on his knees to help the boy. In his mouth, a strange tentacle. It shimmered in the low light, soaked in a thick plasma. Hop resorted to just tugging at the animated vine, which from my time down here, I knew would not work.

"Gimme a light!" I reached my hand out to no one in particular, and a split second later, I was holding a gun-metal Zippo lighter. I opened the top, flicking at the flint, revealing an enticing sunset flame. I held it close to the vine, listening to the satisfactory sound of it screeching and eventually fleeing Will's mouth. He was still out cold.

This 'Hop' began CPR as if the boy were his own. Even the most seasoned paramedic would be in awe. I reached out to the hysterical woman, who gripped my hand as if she'd know me for years, as if a friend from childhood. "He's such a strong kid, he's been so brave since he's been here."

"Thank you for keeping him safe," She hugged me. No, not a hug. An embrace. "You're safe now. We're taking you both home. We'll get you back to your family, I promise."

Then, he breathed. Will Byers had defied the odds again, just by being alive to see another sunrise. Just by breathing another breath through those chalky, pale pink lips, blue from hypothermia.

I'd never seen anyone move so fast, she was like a lioness protecting her cub. She was a lioness protecting her cub. Will's mother snatched him from the ground, placing her own oxygen mask on the struggling child, 'Hop' grabbing onto me. He lifted me with ease, carrying me away from the scene, as Will's mother did with him. 

"It's okay, I can walk." I squirmed. 

"I gotcha kid." He spoke, a certain coolness to his voice like he were a cowboy from an old western movie. Like he hadn't just pulled a boy from the callous, unavoidable grasp of death. "Put this on." He pulled his own oxygen mask away from his face. "You need it more than me kid, how long ya been down here, huh? A week?" 

"A year or so in the upside down, came here just before Will. But I've been gone for 9 years, I think. I lost count."

"I'm sorry we couldn't get to ya sooner. How'd you wind up getting yourself here anyway? And how'd you survive?" He asked, his voice laced with genuine concern.

"It's a long story." 

There was a blast of heat, the scent of rot and decay had disappeared into nothingness. We were back in the real world. My eyesight blurred, but not because of the tears welling in my eyes. Everything became fuzzy. I saw everything, and then nothing at all. My grasp on the big man slipped, but he had realised, and only gripped me tighter. "It's okay kid." 

I felt my body drain until all fell black.