Epilogue

News of the witch spread quickly. The power that her magic held. The castle maids who had been brave enough to eavesdrop had been quite the gossips, and soon, knowledge of the witch's magic had spread far and wide. Magic was now an accepted part of the universe. More witches, even male witches (dubbed sorcerers) started appearing, but even though they could perform light magic, and the magic of the earth, none could touch the witch's magic, even if they tried.

As for Connor, his blindness had forced him to be honorably discharged from the army, and he simply left. He disappeared into the woods one day, never to be seen again.

Until the day of the wedding, that is.

Joseph stood at the front of the castle chapel, in full royal regalia, lit by the warm sunset glow. The guests stood to watch Briar Rose walked down the aisle, holding a bouquet of irises (they had decided against roses, all things considered) and daffodils, as her face displayed a kind of "basic" happiness. In reality, both parties knew it was their duty to be married, but only Joseph seemed genuinely happy.

Briar Rose handed off her bouquet to the flower girl, and she took Joseph's hands, staring directly into his eyes.

"Dearly beloved, we are-"

The priest was suddenly interrupted by a loud knocking at the door. The guests murmured amongst themselves, as the knocking only grew louder. Eventually, Joseph himself became curious enough to do something about the rude new arrival.

"Open the doors. Let us see who wants so badly to join the festivities." Joseph said to the guards. With a nod, they slowly opened the doors.

Standing in the doorway was a young woman. She was dirty, her mop of brown hair a tangled mess. Her eyes were a brilliant shade of green. She was wearing simple clothes and a dull green cloak, and no shoes. At all.

"Who are you?" Joseph asked.

The woman pushed back her hood to reveal her face. Joseph stumbled back, before grabbing a sword from one of the knights standing beside him and pointed it to her. "You were with her that night at the ball. You were with the witch!"

The crowd gasped and shouted at each other. Eventually, they all ran out of the chapel in fear. It came down to only Joseph, Briar Rose, the priest, and 7 knights, who all had their swords pointed directly at the woman's throat.

"Good. Now that everyone is gone, we can talk," she said with a smile. She lifted up one hand, opened it, and blew a glittering green powder into the eyes of the knights. They all stumbled back, before slowly appearing to grow sleepy. She simply stepped away from the knights as they fell asleep, some on the floor, the rest draped over the pews.

Briar Rose backed away, but the woman, still giving that sweet smile, raised a hand in a calming manner. "It's alright, I promise." She opened her other hand and aimed the powder into the eyes of the priest, sending him to the floor as well.

Joseph looked in between them for a bit, before pointing his sword at her neck. "What do you want, witch?"

The woman shook her head. "Witch? No, witches are known for evil. My role is different. I prefer the term 'Enchantress.'"

"What is the difference? You still pose a threat. You were with her on the night of the ball."

The woman suddenly looked sorrowful. "Yes... the girl I once knew as Elise. But you knew her as Elise, once. Didn't you, Prince Joseph?"

Briar Rose gave a dismissive look, laced with a hint of sadness. The woman noticed it. "She was my friend. But you, Prince Joseph... you enabled her darkness for too long. You pushed her over the ledge. Then, you betrayed her. If that wasn't enough, you forced the princess's lover out of the army, so you could marry the girl for political gain," the woman shook her head. "And so I ask you, Prince Joseph. Are you an honest man? Are you truly noble?"