21. Family Meal

The deer is amazing.

Maybe it's because I haven't had a real meal in days, but the meat is so juicy and savoury, that I catch myself behaving most unlady-like and ripping the meat off the bones with my teeth as the juices run down my chin.

I can see the others watching me with silent curiosity. Clearly, I'm the entertainment for the night. Sitting next to me, Evan watches me in amusement as I lick the delectable nectar from my fingers before reaching for more venison on the spit.

Why haven't I eaten venison before? It's delicious. I definitely have to introduce it to my parents when I get back home.

Sufficiently stuffed, I lean back as the men continue to pick away at what's left on the bones, sometimes chewing on the bones as well. "That was so good. You have no idea how much that hit the spot," I say with a content sigh.

"We've all been there," Evan says with food in his mouth. "Starvation makes us all turn into wild animals. Especially this one."

He jabs his thumb at Keith next to him around the firepit, who's sucking marrow from a bone he snapped in half.

Keith shrugs. "Hey, gotta grab what you can before Rick eats all the good parts."

"Don't accuse me in that manner," Rick says in a gravelly voice. "It's my right to eat first."

"Yeah, well, it would be nice if you tossed me a bone once and a while."

"You know very well that Emily gets the scraps."

"And it's a good thing Ali gives her more than just scraps, otherwise she'll be like her," Keith shoots back, jutting his chin toward me. "No offence darlin', but damn!" he adds as I cringe.

"Hey," Evan barks, with a rumble in his throat. "Don't talk to her that way."

Keith rolls his eyes. "I said, no offence. Not my fault she's all skin and bone."

Feeling self-conscious, I pull my legs up to my chest. "Not my fault either."

Alicia scowls at Keith, but quickly says to me, "Now, now. That'll change. With proper exercise and diet you'll fill out. A few more years will help too. Some girls blossom later than others."

Keith rolls his eyes. "I know you didn't just compare her to a flower, Sis."

"Why not, Bro?" she says, her eyes taking on a dangerous look. "She's fragile enough right now as it is, is she not?"

I look from Keith to Alicia with worry before I catch Evan grinning and shaking his head slightly. Giving him a quizzical look, he leans over and whispers in my ear, "They always bicker. Just ignore them."

I suppress a shiver from his breath on my neck. "Over what?"

He shrugs. "Superiority, of course."

"I wouldn't know. I've never had any brothers or sisters."

"Really?"

I nod. "Do you? Have siblings, I mean."

There's a twinkle in his eye. "Oh yeah. I got an older sister and two younger sisters, about your age maybe. And a baby brother. He's ten now. You're... twenty-one?"

"Eighteen."

"Oh," he pauses, as if something has crossed his mind. "Okay. Four year age gap's not bad."

I furrow my brows. "You're twenty-two?"

"Yeah, I'm legal, not like you."

I squint at him. "Yes, I am."