The Legend, The Rumor

"...you want me to what?" Vree asked, tail twitching despite himself.

"We have two humans coming aboard," Commander Ryyt repeated himself colt. "As our senior xenobiologist, I am putting them in your charge."

"I specialize in plants," Vree said helplessly. He had heard the stories about humans just like everyone else, and believed almost none of it. "What am I supposed to do with humans?"

"Learn about their culture," the commander shrugged. "And their biology. Everything you can. The Pride Council needs to know how much truth there is in the rumors."

Probably none, Vree thought grimly. Rumors were always exaggerated, usually beyond understanding.

"Why me?" He asked, hoping for a way out of this mess before it got started. "I never deal with sentient creatures. You remember the tak-ra incident, sir."

"I do," Ryyt sighed. "But you're still the ranking xenobiologist on the ship, and your impressive military record suggest that, should any of the stories be true, you will be able to defend yourself."

Well that was promising. Vree glared, But to no avail. One of Ryyt's striped ears twitched. He knew Vree too well. He could never resist a mystery, and humans were the biggest mystery there were.

"When do they arrive?"

"In one solar hour, give or take."

Damn him. No time to prepare or anything.

"Can they do anything useful, or are they soldiers?"

"Human-Nerea is an environmental specialist. Human-Amir is a xenotechnology specialist. They both have some combat training, but they are scientists before soldiers."

Ryyt handed Vree the file on his desk and sat back as Vree flipped through it quickly. There was more information than he could read before the humans arrived, but he could study it while they settled in.

"I take it you accept?" Ryyt asked when Vree laid his ears back and glared at his commanding officer. "I can find someone else but you're the best fit."

"No, I'll do it," Vree muttered, and closed his fingers around the file. "I want triple hazard pay any time I have to go to shore with them, and any time there might be hostiles in the area. Double if the ship is breached or there may be fighting of any kind."

"Pessimistic, aren't you?"

"Only if the stories aren't true. If they are, you'll be glad I only asked for this."

That made Ryyt snarl a laugh and he waved a dismissal. "Fine, Fine. I'll arrange it. And Vree, I doubt the stories are true."

"So do I," Vree shrugged. "But you never know. Where will they be?"

"Dock five. And Vree?"

Vree turned and cocked an ear to show he was listening. Ryyt gave him a fangy grin.

"Yes sir?" Vree said cautiously, sensing the commander's wicked sense of humor.

"Try not to let them eat you. Dismissed."

The door closed in his face before Vree could do more than hiss his displeasure.

Try not to get eaten indeed!