The Price of Love

Chapter 1:

"But mom,everyone has an iPhone!" I exclaimed from outside her bedroom door.

My mom sighed and looked up from her painting, her eyebrows knitting in annoyance,"Your father and I won't buy you unnecessary items. If you really want an iPhone get a job, then buy it."

I pouted and complained," I'm just fourteen, who would hire me? And I have school work and martial arts!"

She looked back down at her painting and muttered "I don't know, figure it out yourself."

That was the end of the discussion. I retreated back to my room sadly. The polished hard wood floor quickly turned into a fluffy white rug and then my bed. I hugged one of pillows tight and contemplated what my mom had just said. I needed a job.

Over the weekend I did some research on jobs that hired high school students, I found none that applied to me. I had given up all hope when I was called to the principals office Monday after school. I walked into the office and found the principal seated at his desk adjusting his Mr.Todd name card. His business suit he wore everyday was nicely pressed and the rumor that his tie matched his socks seemed very realistic. Across from him was a blond woman with ruby lips and pearly whites.Her hair was in a high ponytail and she wore a cream blouse tucked into a grey pencil skirt. Next to her was a blond man with his hair combed back, wearing a suit with a striped tie. I felt at home with my navy circle skirt, white blouse, green cardigan, knee socks and hand bag.

"Karla, I'd like you to meet Candace and William."Mr.Todd said gesturing to the blonds.

"Good afternoon." I said shaking their hands.

"Good afternoon."They replied back.

I sat down next to William and Candace slid a folder down towards me.

"Open it." Candace smiled.

I opened the folder slowly like if any second something would pop out from inside. Instead there was a picture of a boy with neck long brown hair, beige skin and brown eyes. His records followed after, the most recent one, an arrest for a gang fight.

"What is this?"I asked confused

William pointed at the picture of the boy and said,"This is my client Leo Howard. Recently he was accidentally caught up in a gang fight. Consequently he lost his contract with Disney XD."

"What does this have to do with me?"I asked.

"Leo is moving here until I can get back his contract."Todd said.

"And we were thinking you're a honor student, a martial artist and the freshmen class rep." Mr.Todd began, "You could be Leo's best friend, bodyguard, and guide."

"He'd live right next to you and have every class with you."Candace added.

"You'd help him stay under the radar until he got his job back." William finished off,"What do you say?"

"No."

"Excuse me?" Candace asked.

"I'm really busy and don't have time to babysit some celebrity." I said distastefully.

I stood up and turned around when William shouted, "We'll pay you!"

He caught my attention.

"I'm listening." I said turning back around.

"We'll pay you seven hundred a week, one hundred a day." William said.

I thought intently for a second. This was a great deal but I could make it better.

"Add an iPhone and I'm in."I added

"What?"Candace asked,"Why?"

I made up a quick excuse,"I don't have a phone, how am I supposed to stay in touch with Leo."

William scrunched his brows together and after a while said,"Fine."

I was thoroughly satisfied,this had to be the easiest job in the world. And my mom said you couldn't make easy money. Candace pointed down at a contract and I signed it without hesitation or reading it.

"Your iPhone and instructions will be shipped to your house tomorrow. Leo should arrive Friday morning." Candace said writing in a notebook.

"Instructions?" I asked,"For what?"

"This is not an easy job," Candace laughed,"Wait till you meet Leo!"