Beacon Academy (1/2)

Ozpin's invitation has been weighing on my mind for the last week, and now it's the night before my sisters leave for Beacon, and I can't sleep a wink as the things he said replay continuously in my mind.

They did have some merit to them, it would be incredibly advantageous to be able to use his influence to continue my Vigilantism while technically following the law.

It also couldn't hurt to have more combat training and knowledge on Grimm, just in case I bite off more than I can chew or if the poorer side of town gets invaded by Grimm.

At the same time, however, time at school meant less time on the streets, which means more people get hurt without my presence to save them.

But if I had more training, I would be able to save a lot more people.

No matter how I spin this situation, the pros far outweigh the cons, and that's what frustrates me the most.

I sighed as I stood up from my bed and packed my bags. The ship leaves Patch at around 9:00 a.m., and it's 1:00 a.m. now. If I go to sleep, I should be at least partially energized in the morning.

With the topic no longer plaguing my mind, I was able to fall asleep rather quickly.

Timeskip to the next morning

My alarm clock blared loudly in my ears, piercing them and startling me awake. No matter how many times that happens, I'll never get used to it.

Reluctantly, I rose from my bed once more and got dressed.

I lugged my suitcases down the stairs and put them with Ruby and Yang's, which were already there from the night before.

I quickly made myself some breakfast, making sure to put some bread in the toaster for my sisters so they'd at least have something to eat when they inevitably rushed down the stairs, panicking about being late.

I washed my plate up, and almost as if on cue, two yells came from upstairs, and the shuffling of feet began.

My parents came down the stairs soon after, while Yang was outside the bathroom door, yelling for Ruby to hurry up in the shower.

Due to my ears, I could hear everything they were saying.

Yang: Come on, Ruby, I was supposed to get the shower first!

Ruby: No way, it takes you like fifteen minutes to wash your hair alone!

See, I'm smart. I know that it takes a considerable amount of time to wash my tail, so I shower at night, knowing that the only pressing matter at hand is getting to bed.

The cons of having a bushy ass tail far outweigh the pros, but I've learned to live with it.

My dad sat on the couch, sighing as he looked at the suitcases by the door.

My mother joined him, no doubt reminiscing about their kids' childhoods that were slipping by at rapid speed.

I guess now is the time to break the news.

Me: So, I had a conversation with Professor Ozpin last week. The same night Ruby got invited to Beacon.

My parents both turned their attention to me.

Dad: What did he say?

Me: Well, he extended the invitation to me.

Both of them shot up in surprise.

Mom: Why didn't you tell us sooner?

Me: Because I didn't know if I even wanted to go until last night.

Dad: Why didn't you at least ask for advice?

Me: Far be it from me to say this, but you two don't exactly give the best advice. Besides, I'm seventeen—almost eighteen—and I can make these decisions on my own.

Before the discussion could turn into an argument, as it always inevitably did, Ruby and Yang rushed down the stairs, fully dressed and ready to go.

Me: I put some toast on for y'all. I figured you'd need it.

They both expressed their thanks as they quickly ate their breakfast, while I stood up and grabbed my bags.

Me: The ship leaves in ten minutes. Let's get it going.

Ruby: Why do you have bags, Y/n?

Me: I'm going to Beacon with you. I'll explain it on the ship; just come on!

We took off down the path that would lead us to the ship, got our stuff put into the cargo hold, and stepped into the cabin just before the doors closed.

I sat down with my sisters and began explaining why I was with them. Ruby knew most of the story, but this was the first time Yang had heard it.

Yang: So let me get this straight: you were about to stop a robbery, but Ruby kicked a guy out a window, then you two beat up a bunch of henchmen, then you and a Huntress took out a Bullhead, and after Ruby left, Professor Ozpin kept you behind to invite you to Beacon as well?

Me: Yeah, that's about right for the most part.

Yang shook her head and smirked.

Yang: I need to hang out with you more often; you seem to get into some crazy shenanigans.

Me: You don't know the half of it.

The remainder of the ride was spent with us talking about the crazy situation Ruby and I had gotten into the week before.