Promises

You watched over Shay. Even when the doctor urged you to rest. You never left your post. Anytime they tried to remove you from Shay's room, you drew your dagger and warned them to focus on the real patient, the real task at hand. Monro wasn't phased by your actions. After drawing your dagger on him at the beach, he didn't seem quite as bothered by you. Perhaps he understood your desire to protect Shay, your loyalty to him.

And truth be told, the general had a good sort of air about him. He went out of his way to find Shay a comfortable place to rest, the safety of someone's home. An elderly couple named Cassidy and Barry, old friends of his. Monro lied to them, however, explained that the two of you had been thrown off your ship during a recent storm.

He also ensured the doctor stopped by to check in. Oftentimes Monro was there every day, just to have a look and give a nod. He rarely spoke. He understood your need for silence. There was no point in making small talk and you appreciated that. You didn't want to talk. You were still too angry, still too stunned with how things had turned out.

Monro stopped by that afternoon to check in, casually looking over his condition before stating smoothly, "I've a task that needs done and I think perhaps... you would be perfect for it." He looked over at you in the corner of the room, the same chair you had been sitting in for countless days. Perhaps weeks.

Your eyes remained locked on Shay. He hadn't broken through his fever yet. The wound was closed and bandaged and the doctor had high hopes for his recovery... but your stomach still felt knotted. You couldn't stop thinking back to that moment on the cliff. If you had just been a little faster...

If you hadn't let Liam convince you to leave Shay in the first place...

Liam... that bastard...

"No matter how long you stare, he won't awaken." Monro stepped closer to you and sat down in the wooden chair near the bed. "He is healing. There is nothing more you can do for him right now. The more you wait the more tense you will become."

You crossed your arms and leaned back in your seat. "No. I have no reason to leave."

"I need someone to deliver a missive for me and..." He gave an abrupt sigh, somewhat regretful about his next words, "I am the one who got a doctor to care for your friend... and a home for him to safely recover."

You glared from the corner of your eye, chin rising as you took in his words.

He slowly stood up and stepped forward, but he was wise in keeping his distance, turning his attention to the window instead. "It's highly important and... since you are skilled--"

"What makes you think I'm skilled?"

"I know a soldier when I see one." Monro tucked his hands behind his back, eagerly awaiting your approval. "You seem like a good soul. You care a great deal for this man. You're willing to die for him. I need someone like that. I need someone honorable and loyal."

You smirked. You were far from 'honorable'. But Monro... had saved Shay's life and if he needed you to deliver some stupid letter... you supposed it wouldn't be too much work. You pressed your lips thin and reached your hand out. "Where?"

He handed over the folded and sealed paper. "Two days ride north of here. You'll be riding through a battlefield so it will be dangerous." His eyes softened a bit, trying to be kinder than he was, "Please ensure that the commander gets it."

You clutched it in your grasp, wrinkling a bit of the parchment but Monro was wise in not saying anything about it. You stuffed it into your jacket and marched out of the room. "If he dies while I'm gone, I will murder everyone you know."