~ ch.10 ~

june 13th, 2019
- Andy -

I had never ran so fast in my life. Tom and I both broke out of the lagoon without saying a word. I raced to the beach immediately while Tom wrestled to get his clothes back on while also trying to get to the beach.

   I stumbled and fell over into the sand, quickly pushing myself up and waving my arms frantically as I watched the helicopter fly out into the open sea. It was a rescue helicopter by the looks of it but it sure as hell wasn't rescuing us. My heart sank and I dropped to my knees, my head hanging low as the noise of the vehicles blades were fading and the helicopter could no longer be seen.

   They were looking for us. But they wouldn't finding us, at least not today. Tom came running out of the jungle, panting and darting his head around as he looked for the helicopter. "What... Where.. Where's the helicopter?" His voice was scared.

I stayed quiet, my heart starting to slow to a steady beat as tears welled up in my eyes.

"Andy." Tom breathed out. "Andy, where's the helicopter?" His voice broke and I just couldn't get the words out of my mouth, telling him that our rescuers had gone right over us and didn't see us, it seemed like saying it would make it so real that it would hurt me to say the words. I couldn't do it. I just couldn't do it.

june 15th, 2019
- Andy -

   Tom and I haven't said much to each other in the last two days. We would be around each other but neither of us wanted to say anything, at least I didn't want to say anything. I felt too hopeless and sad to do anything other than just sit in the sand. Tom took occasional walks across the shore, I watched him as he would look down at his feet and sometimes wipe at his eyes with his hands.

june 17th, 2019
- Andy -

Things aren't as sad and depressing anymore. We're both very much going through a lot being stranded on a deserted island and all but we've stopped shutting each other out. We talked while we ate our dinner tonight, I even got him to laugh. Our situation sucked but we tried to make the most of it, I was trying to at least.

"Oh, look! There's the big dipper!" I exclaimed, my finger pointing up at the star littered sky as we laid on the cold sand.

Tom chuckled, a small smile forming on his lips. I turned my head to him and he turned his to mine. I smiled and we locked eyes. "Thanks." He said.

   My brows creased. "For what?"

   Tom simply smiled again, ignoring my question completely. He stared at my face, his eyes looking straight at mine.

"What are you smiling at?" I asked with a small laugh.

"Nothing, just enjoying the view."