iv

Authors Note; Hello readers!... thank you for the votes and reads and stuff! That’s all, I guess :-) Elle at the side, enjoy! 

         iv – partners

Because they're just girls, breaking hearts.” I clamp a hand over my ears, trying to ease out the screeching that is my best friends singing voice. Right now, Jace is belching the lyrics to Girls by The 1975. This song is easily one of our favourites, but sitting here right now, I couldn’t despise the song more. As you can already tell, Jace doesn’t have the greatest talent in singing, and I’m regretting ever asking him for a ride to school today. I feel like my ears are going to fall off if he sings another line from the song.

The windows are rolled down, radio up, and idly I would have been laughing along with Jace, if it weren’t a Thursday morning, and we weren’t on our way to school. How anyone can be this hyperactive at such an early hour in the morning is beyond me, but this this Jace, and he is a very questionable person.

If Jace wasn’t my best friend, I would have long thrown him out of this car. Sadly, he is my best friend and my only ride to school.

I low sigh escapes my lips, and that gains the attention of said best friend. He turns down the radio, looking at me for a brief second before his eyes are back on the road. “Why so glum?” he asks, manoeuvring his way in front of a school bus that’s going far too slow for his liking.

“I’m not glum, I just want to make it to school so I don’t have to endure your singing any longer,” I tell him. You can hardly call that singing anyways.

“You’re just jealous you can’t sing as well as me, so don’t be a hater and enjoy the ride,” he says, giving me one of his goofy grins before turning his attention back on the road. I don’t reply knowing arguing with him is a lost cause.

Soon, the building of the school is in my sights, standing tall and proud. Staring at the school now, I don’t regret coming to this private school one bit, but I have always wanted to go to public school. You can say it’s always been a dream of mine, a very weird one, but a dream nonetheless. My parents aren’t very fond of public schools, having gone to one when they were both in their teenage days, and claim it’s for “no-good-doers”. I don’t believe that, the only difference between private school and public school is that my parents pay a lot more and the system is stricter.

Though, I don’t regret coming here anymore since I met Jace and Sammy, and there is a no bullying policy, meaning if you are caught doing it then you are suspended on spot. As you can tell, this is a very precious school. I could do without the uniforms though.

Jace slowly puts his car in park, his regular parking spot, and turns off the engine.

“You know,” he begins to say and I turn my attention to him as he speaks. “I’m sure today is bound to be a long day. Thursdays are always long.”

“Says the person who’s been blaring out lyrics to every song that plays,” I huff.

“Just because I say it’s going to be a long day doesn’t mean I’m not going to make the most of it. Live life to the fullest,” he says. Jace is someone who is always on the positive side of life, even so early in the morning. I don’t even think there has been a time where he hasn’t seen the upside in things, except my relationship with Sammy of course.

“Do you always have to be so… cheerful?” I ask, trying my hardest to remain my tired self but Jace making it so hard with his happy attitude.