We need to talk

They needed to talk. Fletch laughed to himself, they always needed to talk.
This time he knew that she wouldn't bail out before they could.
"Hey dad. Where were you last night" asked Evie coming down the stairs
"I stayed at a friend's"
"A 'friend's'?"
"Yes a friend's. Problem?"
Evie went close and whispered "were you at Jac's?"
Fletch struggled to hide his blushes and considered lying. However, he quickly reflected that if this was going to work they were all going to have to be honest
"Yes I was at Jac's. How did you know?"
Evie rolled her eyes "because father you never shut up about her and don't think I didn't notice the way you looked at her when I was in her office upset about grandad"
"Yes well I mean..er"
"And" she interrupted "you are looking a bit like the cat that got the cream"
"Ok. What do you think?"
"It depends if it's a quick hook up or you know something more"
"Definitely not just a quick hook up but the rest we need to work out"
"Are you sure about this Dad?"
"As sure as I can be"
"It's just I remember her telling me that she wouldn't go out with you and that you needed to be with someone as warm and kind as yourself - which wasn't her, and she didn't want to lose your friendship"
"Yeah well things have changed. Anyway when did you have this chat with Jac"
"Mmm" said Evie trying to remember "must have been around Halloween. You bumped into us sitting on the stairs"
"Oh yeah I remember" Fletch cringed inwardly as he recalled the day Jac kissed then rejected him
"Listen babe, I really want to give this a go but it's complicated. We have been good friends to each other, we have families and difficult pasts. Jac and I went through the shooting, we lost uncle Raf. Jac's lost her sister. We just need to make sure whatever we do doesn't hurt anyone. I'm bricking it" he held his arms out "give your old dad a hug and tell me I'm not mad"
Evie hugged him tight "you are mad but I love you. Please get it right dad"
That evening Fletch dialled Jac's number full of nervous excitement and a little trepidation
"Hi" she couldn't help smiling as she answered after seeing the caller id
"Hi. How 's your day been"
"Well obviously I got the third degree from Sacha. How about you?"
"Hmm Same from Gemma and a little from Evie"
"What did they say?"
"Erm"
"Erm?"
"I feel like I spend half my life saying this but we need to talk Jac"