He Was a Nice Guy.

West was in shock for the first few seconds, it took him a while to register what was happening, before he forcefully shoved Killian away, resulting in the crowd that had circled around them to gasp in surprise.

This wasn't what he wanted. Killian was just a friend, and he wasn't sure if he wanted things to go further than that. He was certain he'd only break his heart in the end, it was better to stop things now, than later on when they were both too invested. In his mind, he was convinced that detachment would be the best solution for both of them.
It wasn't until someone in the crowd called him an asshole, that he snapped out of his thoughts. His eyes scanned the crowd, which was staring at him with hateful glares; nothing new, but when his eyes fell to the floor, he figured out why everyone looked more repulsed than usual, and his stomach dropped.

Did I do that?

On the ground lay a glass-eyed Killian, he had landed on his behind after West pushed him over.

"Excuse me, coming through!" Brittany yelled as she squeezed through the crowd.

West watched with a grief stricken expression on his face as Brittany helped Killian up from the well trampled grass.

Killian muttered a 'thanks' then brushed the dirt from his behind. He glanced at West who was looking anywhere but in his direction.

What was I thinking? He's been rejecting me from day one. I never really stood a chance.

The crowd around them had gone quiet, most were teeming with second hand embarrassment, some were enjoying the scene unfolding in front of them, and Killian thought he saw Hunter Lang, his ex from Ridgewood High, smirk. But he couldn't be sure. He didn't care, though, he just wanted the earth to open up and swallow him whole.

What was I thinking?

"The fuck are you all staring at? Get Lost!" Brittany ordered, the countless teens gave indistinct murmurs before dispersing, leaving Brittany, West and Killian on the field.

"Killian," West started as he stepped closer to reach for him.

Killian instantly recoiled, but gave West a sad smile when he saw the heartbroken expression on his face. "It's okay. I'm okay."

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to do that. I just wasn't expecting--"

"It's okay, really. Listen, I have to go." He looked over at Brittany, "Could you take me home?"

"Sure, you can wait by my car. Pink 1976 Ford Bronco, it's grotesque. You won't miss it."

Killian gave her a half smile, "Thanks."

West longingly watched Killian walk away then abruptly turned towards Brittany to say something. She put up her hand before he could utter another word.

"Why would you do that?"

"I-- I don't know. I'm sorry."

She let out a disappointed sigh, "I'm not the one you need to apologize to."
--------------------------

The car ride was mostly silent. Brittany and Killian weren't that close, so things were a bit awkward.

Pay at Shirley's shop was good, if he didn't have responsibilities, he'd have bought a small used car, less awkward moments, and you could cry if you really wanted to, and Killian really wanted to. She dropped him off at his address, and he tiredly made his way into his house.
-
"Killian, darling, you're here. Thank Goodness."

Killian took in Linda's outfit, she was wearing a tight black dress and thigh high boots, her hair styled into a neat bun.

Guess she's going out again...

"Mama."

Linda examined his dirty gear and messy hair, "You look a mess! Anyway, could you make dinner for the kids tonight? I'm going out for drinks with Winona."

"Again? You really shouldn't be wasting money like this."

"Oh shush! I'll pay back every cent, don't you worry." She said as she pinched Killian's cheek.

"You don't have to."

Linda nodded then headed for the door, and as she was opening it, Killian spoke up.

"You missed my football game today."

"That was today?"

Killian gave her a blank stare, causing her to shift uncomfortably in the doorway.

"Oh, well...just--there's stir fry in the fridge. Make that. I'll be back at 11." She blew him a kiss then flew out the door, leaving the kids on their own again for the 3rd night in a row.

Killian wasn't in the mood to cook, so he ended up ordering a large Pizza for the kids to share, then headed up to the room he shared with his youngest brother.

He lay awake for an hour, tossing and turning cause sleep wouldn't come. His mind kept on drifting to what had happened earlier. He felt humiliated. His heart was hurting, he concluded that maybe love just wasn't for him. Ever since his arrival in Easton, he'd had his heart stomped on left, right and center by the local boys. Maybe he just didn't know how to choose 'em, or maybe he really did have a hero complex. Harper was right. West was right.

Killian was too naive, and fell in love too quickly. And that always resulted in heartbreak. His outrageously funny best friend, his brother, really, was always there to comfort him with his dark humor and funny stories, but now he didn't even have that. He had no one.

And all those eyes that were on him just a few hours ago... He could still feel them burning into him, he could still hear everyone's whispers and snickers. He wasn't sure if he'd be able to face everyone the next day. He was scared he'd be the subject of the bullies' wrath for the remaining month of senior year.

I did this to myself. My fault. West never liked me, I can accept that. I was a fool to think him trusting me with his biggest secrets meant something. That I meant something to him. But if I hadn't kissed him, how long would I have kept on trying to win his affection, only to get rejected at every turn? Probably forever. This was a good thing.

He grabbed his phone from his nightstand, he wanted to text Harper. But decided against it. He didn't do anything wrong. He didn't insult his best friend. He didn't waste his best friend's lettuce, ham and mayo sandwiches, either. So it was not up to him to make amends. He was done caring for people who couldn't give two shits about him. He was done trying to make people stay in his life. If they wanted to leave, he would gladly open the door for them.
He was done with everything.

No more mister nice guy.

___________________________