i. LUCKY

ONE LUCKY

ONE LUCKY

━━━━━━━━

KATE DAVENPORT SIGHS as she steps out of a taxi cab and stares up ahead at the only house she's noticed for miles ; her Gran, Mary-Ann's house. It's big, with a wrap around porch, and one too many potted plants for her liking, and it's quite frankly, falling apart. The white paint is chipping, and there's some kind of vining growing, wrapping itself around a small section of the side of the house.

It's been so long since she's been here last, so long since she's called this place home.

Gran's house sits on four acres of land surrounded by evergreen trees. There's a long graveled path for a driveway, and Kate recognizes - as she walks around to grab her things from the trunk - her gran's 1998, yellow VW Beetle.

As she unloads the trunk, there's a loud crack of thunder that erupts from the sky, and she groans. Of course it's going to rain.

Forks, Washington is a far cry from New Orleans. It's a small rainy town with a population of 3,246. Nothing ever happens in Forks, and most everyone knows everyone.

Kate can't deny that this place was once her home, and that it held good memories, for the most part, but she also can't say that she doesn't already miss New Orleans.

She misses the people - one person in particular - the way that there's something always going on downtown, the heat. The coldest days in New Orleans are some of the warmer months in Forks that she won't even see until April.

The taxi driver is quick to help her out and with a slam of the trunk, he's bidding her a good night, before getting back into his car. Just as he pulls out and heads off, she's greeted with a warm, cheery voice she hasn't heard in years.

"Kate!" She turns and finds her Gran waving to her from the porch, a wide smile spread across her face as she looks at her granddaughter whom she's missed so dearly.

Gran looks much different from what lies in Kate's memories. Her hair's grayer now, a silvery white that blends into a darker charcoal at the ends, and this time she's not wearing any makeup, is dressed simply in a dark blue nightgown with a pearl necklace.

"Gran," Kate smiles, and walks up to give her a hug, because she knows she's expecting one, and it's weird, 'cause it's been so long.

"Oh, I'm so glad you're going to be staying with me," Mary-Ann says when she pulls away to look at her, holds her arms, and Kate's not so sure she feels the same, doesn't know how she feels about much of anything really. Her gran's smile fades a little. "though I wish the circumstances were different."

"Me too," Kate nods, quick to shrug off the comment. Her eyes dart behind Gran, over to the door where out walks a black cat, and Kate's face lights up instantly. "Elvis?" She asks, and she mentally face palms herself for the stupid name.

Damned | Carlisle CullenOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara