The Scariest Day and Almost Everything Afterwards - Part 3

"Mommy, Daddy, Mommy, Daddy, Mommy, Daddy, Mommy, Daddy, Mommy, Daddy, Mommy, Daddy, Mommy, Daddy, Mommy, Daddy, Mommy, Daddy, Mommy, Daddy, Mommy, Daddy, Mommy, Daddy, Mommy, Daddy, Mommy, Daddy!!!!!!"

Annabeth and I walked over to Penny, Annabeth holding Luke.

"What is it sweetie?" Annabeth asked.

"Something really cool happened today!! We were at this Greek mythology museum thing, but that's not important. I had a teacher named Mr Brunner, and he was really old and stuff, and then there was this other teacher, Mrs Dodods, and then she turned into a demon with wings and it was so cool!"

I began getting a little worried at this point. "Wow, that's amazing, Penny! How did you get rid of it?"

"It was so cool! Mr Brunner threw me this hair clip and it had this weird word on it. I think it said Anna kills moss or something. Anyway, he threw it to me, and I un-clipped it, and it turned it into a big bronze sword, and I didn't know how to use it, but my instincts just seemed to kick in and I managed to stab Mrs Dodods and she vaporised! It was the coolest thing ever!"

"Did anything happen afterwards? Like, getting expelled or something?" I asked. This story brought back a lot of memories...

"No. Why? Did something similar happen to you?" The six-year old's big, curious, light green eyes seemed to bore into my soul, wanting more information to scoop up and store away.

I started to sweat. "Um, can you just let me and mommy talk for a moment?"

"Sure! While I'm waiting I'll go do my homework!" I knew right then and there that she had at least the slightest bit of her mother's genes.

Annabeth looked at me, shushing Luke and feeding him bottled milk at the same time as doing the ironing and doing something on Daedalus' laptop with her feet. Man, that woman had skills. "Seaweed Brain, even though you were twelve at the time, and Penny is four, isn't that almost exactly what you told me what happened to you? Even the Greek mythology museum part is the same."

"Yeah, I wanted to check with you to see if it was time..."

Annabeth was silent for five counts, as if she were deep in thought, though that fact isn't very surprising. "Yeah, I think we should. We've been quiet for about five years now, and I think it's time we finally let loose. But not in that way."

When Annabeth finished the ironing, we walked over to Penny's room, and, after asking if we could come in, sat on the end of her bed. Annabeth started talking first.

"Sweetie, your father and I have a lot of things we want to talk to you about." She said. "Put down your homework and come here, sit on Daddy's lap."

"Ok." Penny decided to be a good little girl (which is really quite rare for her, since I'm her father) and did what she was asked.

I took a deep breath and started explaining. "So, you know that story you told us a few minutes ago? Almost the exact thing happened to me, and a lot of other stuff has happened to your mother and I, and we haven't decided to tell you until the time is right, which seems to be now. I guess Chiron has made that clear."

"Who's Chiron?"

"You'll find that out later. First, we have to tell you from the start." I said.

"Have you heard of the Greek goddess Athena, goddess of wisdom and crafts?" Annabeth asked.

"Sort of. What has that got to do with this?"

"She's your grandmother, my mom." Annabeth replied.

Fortunately, Penny didn't seem scared or anything, which was good, but she did have a comment.

"That's why I love homework but no one else does and why I'm so much more creative than other people."

"That's right." I said. "And have you been wondering why we need to get our friend Leo in the house almost every time your baby brother cries? That's because he has the power of Poseidon, my Dad, and the toilet explodes whenever he cries. Also, Leo is a mechanic and plumber, and his dad is Hephaestus, god of fire and blacksmiths."

Annabeth spoke up again. "So, we're trying to bring all this slowly to you, okay?"

"Okay." Penny said.

"Now, do you remember Jasper, your friend from preschool? Her parents are also our friends, Jason and Piper. Piper's mom is Aphrodite, the goddess of beauty-"

"And Jason's dad is Zeus, lord of the sky." I interrupted. "There's heaps of others, and a whole lot of stories to tell. Tonight, we're going to tell you how your mother and I met, and what god does what and so on. Then, every night we're going to tell you one of the adventures we had and when it's all done, we're probably going to have to repeat it all for Luke, and you can maybe add in points we miss, just in case we forget."

So we did just that, and when Luke grew up, he became a better person than the original Luke (although the original Luke was still a good person, he did do some really bad things) and my Luke didn't try to kill me with poisonous scorpions. Mission accomplished!

- Note to self: Make sure your kids don't go into too much danger, but keep them going on a whole lot of quests so they can have at least a little bit of fun.