Ch 23 - A Lowered Guard

Not since the first and only Heart Pirates Hot Wings Eating Competition had Law witnessed a loud and noisy gathering of this size in the mess hall as Sid ate her way through an entire grilled Sea King. The captain watched with mild amusement at the back of the room while the rest of the pirates stomped and cheered her on.

He should tell them to get back to their stations but secretly, he didn't mind taking a little break from their status quo. Even though he usually bunkered down in his office and kept his distance, being in quarantine for so long did make him miss interacting with his crew.

They were all in high spirits - happy to have surfaced and able to breathe in fresh air, relieved that Sid had pulled through her debacle, and joyous that they were able to capture not one but three Sea Kings in the span of 4 days for their food supply.

Bepo had pointed out that for this many Sea Kings to pass by them from the same direction could either mean they had a few more days of sailing before reaching land or there was a storm brewing somewhere and the Sea Kings were fleeing. There was also the possibility of both being the case so Law had an ear out for any sightings or announcements from the ones on watch.

"How can you still be hungry?!" Shachi whispered with awe. He sat right next to Sid so he was right where the action was happening, undeterred by the bones and flecks of sauce that flew towards him from time to time.

"Probably because she was living off of nothing but IV drips for almost a week," Penguin grinned. He sat on the other side of Sid but he, at least, had the sense to be peering at her over a napkin he was holding up, to catch all the culinary debris.

"Booooo," her sky sheep sighed with content as he nestled into her hair a little bit more, oblivious to the commotion around him.

Law's lip twitched at the white mound. Ever since he ended the quarantine, the sky sheep was stuck to her like glue. Even though he and Bepo had formed a bond of some sort, the sheep would not leave Sid's side no matter what.

"Sid! Sid! Sid! Sid! Sid!" his crew chanted.

Law's eyes scanned the crowd. Being at the back of the whole group, he was the only one who seemed to notice the timid herbalist, who was craning his neck to get a glimpse of the Shandian in action.

"Oy! Let him through!"

The group fell into surprised silence at Sid's bellow. Her hand, still clutching a half eaten chunk of meat dripping with sauce, waved over Buckner, who seemed the most floored out of them all.

"Come on. I don't have all day. If you want to come up, come up," Sid said as she returned to her meal.

When did she spot him? Law thought with amusement, Did she even look up from her plate?

She finished her meal with a zealous and hearty burp that made some men look at her with disgust, while the rest voiced their appreciation. Law was inclined to do the former but found himself smiling at such crassness.

At least she has the decency to wipe her hands, Law mused when she grabbed the napkin from Penguin.

"Alright!" Sid said as she stood up from the table and patted her swollen belly, "Now to digest all of this...Anyone up for a fight?"

"A fight?" Bepo repeated, "You want to fight?"

"Yeah." Sid flexed her arms and then started to rotate them in a circle to loosen them up, "I've been in bed for so long, I gotta move."

"That is true, Sid-ya."

The crew fell silent as they turned to the captain and gave him their full attention. He crossed his arms and leaned against the wall. "Your muscles may have weakened from being bedridden and from at least three of the viruses in your system-"