Greeting

"How're you getting along?"

Koga stands in front of you, smiling like he always does. You were just out shopping when you bumped into the oni ogre but you smiled back at him nonetheless.

"I'm good." you answered, readjusting your shopping bags. "How about yourself?"

"Work keeps me busy." he laughed. "Need any help getting those back to your place?"

"Are you sure?" you said. "I wouldn't want to trouble you." He laughs again, already lifting one of the bags from your arms.

"I wouldn't have offered if I wasn't sure." he said and the two of you began to make your way back to your house. You chatted along the way, talking of nothing in particular, when you passed by Masanobu. He was playing in the streets with a couple friends but instantly ran over to Koga the moment he saw you guys.

"Mr. Koga!" the boy cheered. Koga ruffled Masanobu's hair and you smiled at him.

"Hey, kid." you said.

"Hey, Mr. Koga's sweetheart!" Masanobu smiled and you felt your face turn bright red.

"How many times do I have to tell you this!" you shouted, your embarrassment getting the best of you. "I have a name and it's (Y/N)!"

"So, you're not denying that you're my sweetheart?" Koga smirked, casually draping an arm over your shoulder.

"Th-that too!" you stuttered, shaking his arm off. Koga laughed again, ruffling your hair like he would to his little sister. You tried to ignore the pang in your heart as he did so and focused your attention back on Masanobu.

"Hey, if you're not Mr. Koga's sweetheart, can you be my sweetheart instead?" He suddenly asked. You fought back laughter as you stared at the serious expression on Masanobu's face.

"Now, wait a minute," Koga spoke up before you had a chance. "What makes you think I'd give Ms. (Y/N) up that easily?"

"Wh-What!?" you said and Masanobu stared defiantly up at Koga.

"You might be older but I'm still gonna be the one to win Ms. (Y/N)'s heart!" Masanobu started matter-of-factly before running off without giving Koga a chance to respond. Koga shook his head while you desperately tried to cool your face off.

"Kids sure say some strange things," he said and you nodded, unsure of how to respond. The rest of the walk home was silent, save for Koga's whistling some strange tune. When you arrived at your house, you took your bag back from Koga and thanked him for his help.

"Don't mention it!" he smiled before his expression turned serious.

"Koga?" you asked and leaned closer to you.

"I meant it, you know."

"Meant what?"

"I'm not going to let anyone else steal your heart." he smiled, before planting a soft kiss on your cheek. Your face turned five different shades of red at once as he pulled away.

"See you tomorrow!" he waved and turned away, walking back towards the city as you stood dumbfounded on your front porch.