College Showers

Abby –

With my cheap dollar store flip flops on and green shower caddy in hand, I shuffle down the beef smelling hallway to the showers. After spending way too long on my English power point and falling asleep half way through, it was around ten when I woke up. Sniffing myself when I rolled out of bed, I knew shouldn't have skipped that morning shower.

It was a Friday, so usually everyone was still out and about right now, or they went home for the weekend. I, like always, stayed here and worked on homework. I’m not super smart like I come across, I’m average. But average enough to not flunk out.

Cracking open the doors to the showers, the lights were dimly lit. Which was meant nobody was in here. The girls side, at least. Closing the door behind myself, I hugged my faded yellow robe close to my body. Since nobody else was here, I let myself wander over to the middle shower.

Twisting the knob to mid-heat, I let the water run as I shrugged out of my robe, careful to keep my flip flops safely on. There was no way in hell I was touching these floors. I grabbed a bottle of coconut scented shampoo with one hand and my IPod shuffle with the other. Turning on Bootylicious by Destiny’s Child, I laid my phone on the ledge of the shower as I squirted the soap into my hands and hair.

Once my body was finally used to the heat and my slight headache began to start evaporating thanks to the head message I was giving myself with the shampoo, I began to relax more. With closed eyes and my head bobbing back and forth to the intro, I allowed myself to sing.

“Kelly, can you handle this? Michelle can you handle this? Beyoncé, can you handle this? I don’t think you can handle this!” I sang, feeling my confidence level rise as I sang to my invisible crowd. Scrubbing the coconut out of my hair, I let the water run over my face and through my hair as I let all my guards down.

As the water beat my back with each pulse, I moved my hips back and forth to the beat. “I don’t think you’re ready for this jelly, I don’t think you’re ready for this jelly, I don’t think you’re ready for this, my body too booty-,” I stopped singing and stood still as I heard the sound of the shower doors lock.

“Hello?” And that’s when the light went out, leaving me alone in the dark with only the music to accompany me.

Mitch –

Undressing, I threw my beer soaked sweatshirt next to my faded Levi jeans in the corner with the rest of my stuff. The party I was at was all fun and games (and by games I mean beer pong) until my roommate Griffin spilled both his beers down my shirt. Yeah, he was having a lot of fun when I left him.

Poking at my chest, I felt my sticky skin and promptly turned on the shower, hoping the smell wouldn't stay. Getting under the water, I cringed at the still-chilly temperature and rested my head in my dry hands. Looking down, I realized that I really ought to shave my chest.

While leaning against the wall, I heard the main door to the showers open up, signaling that I wasn't alone anymore. Shrugging my shoulders, I didn't mind the person, thinking it was some kind of late-night janitor cleaning up the girl’s side of the showers. They knew better to not come over here and bother me, right?

So after a while of just standing there, I finally pump the generic, free, college supplied soap into my hand and slop it into my greasy hair. Scrubbing it in, I felt my eyebrows lift as I started to hear the janitor sing some pop song that I couldn't even understand. It seriously sounded like someone was being choked and experiencing a voice crack. All at the same time.

The more I listened to the voice, the younger and younger it sounded. What young, probably hot despite her singing voice, girl takes a job as a janitor? Quickly rinsing the smell-less shampoo out of my hair, I stepped away from the shower head and grabbed my towel. Wrapping it around my hips, I tip toed my way over to the separator of the showers and peaked over.