Cover Your Damn Body, Girl

I was sitting in my second period Honors Biology class, the front row, when my name was called over the announcements in a flustered tone. Picking up my textbooks and pencils, I placed them delicately in my backpack and quietly left the room.

Walking down the hall, there were a few kids still lingering by their lockers with their friends. Smiling and laughing, but it all stopped once they glanced at me. Eyes popping out of their sockets, the jaws of the teen boys dropped to the floor. They must have noticed, I curled my hair today! I’m glad they liked it.

One of the boys, however, stepped away from the locker and purred, “Hey, nice pair,” with a sly wink of the eye.

Flattered, I placed a hand on my heart, “Awh, thank you! They came in the mail today!” I explained excitedly, assuming he was talking about the new pair of glasses that I ordered last weekend. They went perfectly with the cream colored tank top I was wearing.

Continuing my stroll down the halls, I hear more of my male classmates coo after me as I walked by them. Something about my big buns? I didn’t know they were serving hamburgers for lunch! I guess I’ll have to grab some this afternoon, everyone seems to be liking them so far.

Finally, I arrived at the office, which was decorated in motivational posters about not doing drugs, never texting and driving and of course, keeping our outfits school appropriate. Walking up to the front desk, I told the computer lady that I was the girl who was called down over the P.A system. Flicking her eyes up from her keyboard, she shot me a hateful look, eyeing my outfit up and down with judgment in her eyes. I hope she liked it, maybe she’s jealous that she doesn’t have the top that I did.

Pointing me in the right direction, I smiled at her gratefully and  guided myself down the hall and into the principal's office. Knocking on the door frame, I spoke up, “Mr. Meijer? I was called down here to talk to you?”

Meeting my eyes, the older man nodded his head at the door, “Ah yes, Helen, close the door and have a seat.” Doing as he asked, I shut the door behind me and nervously took a seat across from him.

“So, Miss Grimes, do you know why you were called down here? Do you have any idea why I disrupted my busy day to deal with you?”

Thinking back to what I did this past week, I couldn’t think of anything I did that was less than admirable. “Uhm, no. I can’t seem to think of anything. Did I win another academic award because of my standardized testing score?”

Mr Meijer erupted into a loud, belly-deep laugh, “What? Don’t be stupid, girl. Those kind of things don’t matter for people like you. What is the problem, though, is your absolutely, trashy and vulgar outfit! How and why did your mother let you out of the house like that?”

Looking down at my attire, I tried to understand where he was coming from. Today, besides my new glasses, I wore a tan riding boots, black leggings and the cream colored tank top the office lady was jealous of. “But,” I stammered, “What’s wrong with my outfit? I think I look pretty!” I protested, crossing my arms.

The principal scoffed, “It’s only second period Helen, and I’ve gotten calls from at least five teachers complaining about the way you are dressed! They’ve told me that because of your choices, they’re having trouble teaching their own classes!”

Funny, I’ve only seen my first and second period teachers today. “How am I stopping them from teaching their classes?”

“Well, all of the male students in these classes, have been distracted by your clothing choices. You seem to be the center of all the attention, all the bad attention, that is.”

I smiled, “They must be jealous, like that office lady in the front room. This top? Brand new.”

Mr Meijer’s brows shrunk together in irritation, “Don’t you get sassy with my young lady, I know more about this topic than you were will. Your first period teacher even came into my office after you left class, going on and on about how the boys couldn’t take their eyes off of your chest and your bottom. Do you know how hard it is to deal with that for forty five minutes?” Before I could even respond, he started back up again, “How will the bright, young football stars focus in class with a distraction like you, running around all willy nilly? How dare you take away their ability to learn and function properly, all because you wanted to dress so…..provocatively.”

Hanging my head in shame, I fought back the tears that were fighting my eyes, “You’re right Sir, how could I ever do that? I didn’t mean to stop the boys from reaching their full potential. All I wanted to do was dress nice for the day! I truly had no idea it would cause a school wide disruption….How could I ever make it up to you?”

Looking down at his laced up fingers, he sighed, “I’m glad you finally realize the errors of your ways girl, your apology is very much accepted. But, in order to keep this school up and running like it was before you decided to dress like that, I’ll have to have you change your outfit.”

Not wanting to end up in anymore trouble than I probably already was, I quickly nodded in agreement, “Of course! That’s not an issue! But, I didn’t bring any other clothes to wear today.”

Reaching down, my principal opened up his cabinet and pulled out a pair of dark gray sweatpants and what looked to be an oversized turtleneck. “This will do the trick! Just change into these clothes in the nurse’s office and you’ll be good to go. This way, nobody will have to have their learning stripped away from them, all because your body.”

Taking the clothes out of his dry hands, I smiled with gratitude, “Oh, thank you! Thank you so much for not being too harsh on me, your mercy means the world! I’ll go change into these right now, then head back to class!”

“Is that all you will do, Helen?”

I thought for a single moment, before the idea popped into my head, “Oh! I’ll also throw away my old outfit, and all the other scandalous items of clothing I own too!”

“Now,” Mr Meijer smiled with pride, “That’s what I like to hear. Way to be a true school supporter. Off you go!” He said, dismissing me finally.

Opening the office door, I clutched the clothing to my chest and began to skip happily down the hall. I was so glad I got a man’s opinion on my outfit and how I choose to look everyday, he sure knew what it was  like to be a teenage girl in high school.

-

A tiny glimpse into what my high school, and probably most other high schools, are like. I hope you all can relate to this.

-TaylorMarie