.3.

Death The Kid

-------------------------------------

"So what'd you see earlier that you didn't want to tell us about?", Liz asks, resting her arm on my head. 

I shuffle my homework into a perfect stack, and concentrate on organizing Patty's mess of papers as she daydreams into who knows where. At least her hat isn't crooked today. 

"If you don't do your work, you're going to fall behind and fail", I state matter-of-factly, swatting her arm away. 

She throws herself onto the chair next to me, nail polish in hand, and sighs. I've grown accustomed to their personalities, and their after-school rituals. Patty likes to lay around, sometimes go out and shop with Liz, and I'm stuck doing her homework for her. Liz accompanies Patty wherever she goes, but stays up late doing her work. The light from her room throws me off every night- I mean, Patty doesn't have her light on, so there's only one bar of light shining in the hallway instead of two- it irritates me beyond belief, to the point where I can't even sleep until she turns that blasphemous light off!

"Kid, your birthday is coming up, right? What are you planning?", Liz asks, stroking the polish against her nail in one quick swipe. 

I watch for a moment, making complete sure she's painting her nails perfectly and evenly, before responding. "I'm going to invite everyone over for a few hours."

"Can we have bubble tea at the party?!", Patty pipes up, slamming her hand against the table repeatedly. 

Liz cocks her head to the side, raising one of her perfectly plucked eyebrows. "Who serves bubble tea at a party?"

"Bubble tea is great!", She slumps in her seat, before perking back up. "I like chewing the pearls- they feel like eyeballs"

Liz grimaces, chuckling slowly before turning back to her nails. "We should serve tea cakes and sandwiches."

"I like the idea of bubble tea", I say, not tearing my eyes from Patty's papers. "The barista there always puts eight boba pearls in my drink."

"That place serves food too, don't they?", Liz asks, adjusting her hat. "We could ask if they cater."

"Let's get cake pops!", Patty jumps up, clapping her hands together and dancing in a circle. "Cake pops! Cake pops! Cake pops!"

Liz jumps up as well, trying to calm her down, and I tune out the sound. I focus on writing, filling out the questions, yet my mind wanders to the bubble tea girl- Miss Bubble Tea. She memorized my order, to the T. Do I really go there that much? It's just become a morning routine- it's helped me and Crona bond too. He used to not accept food or drinks from people... Rightfully so, Medusa probably tried to poison him once or twice. He likes bubble tea though, as do the others. 

As I finish up Patty's paper, I slide it into her folder, and focus on the next sheet, despite my mind being elsewhere. I never learned her name, yet she knows me. Perhaps I should ask her? Maybe get her contact information for the catering. I'm not sure if that'd be best, though- even when she smiles, she seems on guard. As if she's protecting someone. Well, everyone in Death City's been like that since Asura, even though he's been defeated. Post-apocalypse isn't filled with just celebration- it's caused paranoia to infect the streets. It'll subside eventually, though. 

"Kid? Kid!"

I snap out of my bubble tea induced trance, and turn towards Liz, who has one hand on her hip, the other holding her purse. She examines my face for a moment, curious and confused.

"Were you spacing out?"

"Just for a moment. If Patty would do her homework, maybe I wouldn't have!", I bark, but she just giggles and waves as a response. I sigh, and turn back around.