.6.

Death The Kid

--------------------------

"So where am I going? Clyde's house, or mine?", I ask, looking around at the four-way street.

She pauses, tapping a soft finger against her tulip-shaped lips, and looks around wearily. Her eyes dart from corner to corner, as if something is about to attack us at any moment. Perhaps wandering out without Liz and Patty was a bad idea. 

"Put me down", She quickly looks to me, her eyes pleading and begging. "Please."

I nod, setting her down onto the pavement. Her legs shake and tremble, and I prepare to catch her from collapsing at any second. A million thoughts race through my head as she looks around cautiously, such as- Why is Miss Bubble Tea out in the middle of the night with a broken arm and bruises all over her? I know it was an attack, nobody could have that many injuries from just falling down the stairs. Was it this Clyde person? 

I whip my head towards her, and almost question her- until I see the look on her face. She's too shaken up right now, I should give her time to calm down before asking her for details. I tilt my head a bit, urging for an answer. I hoped to be in bed by eleven- because the 11:00 is so aesthetically symmetrical. 

"Would it be too much of a burden if I asked to stay with you?", Her voice shakes, appearing more like a whimper as she cowers away, perhaps expecting rejection. 

"Not at all. Though, it would help if I knew your name", I start to lead forwards, straight to the mansion.

"Sona. Sona Bordot", She replies weakly, barely a whisper. "I know who you are, already."

"Well, I'd hope so", I chuckle, but she just looks down. I clear my throat awkwardly. "Are you scared of the dark?"

"The dark? No", She scans the streets again, inching a bit closer to my side. "The darkness of the city? Yes."

I hold her gaze for a moment longer, before giving her a faint smile. "My mother used to sing to me when I was afraid."

"You.. Had a mother? I thought-"

"Not in the sense you'd think", I stare up at the sky, and finally point towards the north star- Polaris. "That's her now. She always said she wanted to reincarnate as a star. I like to think she's the brightest of them all."

I watch her twinkle, flicker against the dark night. No other star can compare to her beauty. I don't like to talk about her much. She meant a lot to me, though. She took care of me when Father was busy, and taught me so much- Things I'll never, ever forget.

"She's gorgeous"

I look down at Sona, who's gazing up at the sky whimsically. The stars reflect off her big brown eyes, shimmering gracefully. It's pretty. I can't help but let a smile spread across my face, my hands snaking into my pockets as I look back down at the street. 

Sona flinches violently when Blaire thrashes around in some knocked over garbage cans. Before I can say hello, she scurries off angrily, and I realize the pair of hands wrapped tightly around my arm. I look down at her endearingly, as if she's a scared puppy-dog, and take in a quick breath before starting to sing. Her grip loosens as she listens in. I'm not sure what the song is called, nor how 'Mother' came up with it. I only know the words, the rhythm, the notes- Sweet, simple, yet heart wrenching. It's been a while since I've sung her lullaby. 

When I finally finish, she lets go of my arm, and wipes a tear from her eye, sniffling harshly. I stare at her concerned, but she quickly waves me away. 

"What's the name of that song?", She asks as we finally approach the steps to the mansion.

I think for a moment, looking up at the north star one last time. "Polaris' Lullaby."