One Shot: Shot To The Soul [Sans x Reader]

It was a quiet night in the underground, or better said a quiet resting time in the vastness beneath the surface, for there aren't signs of night nor day in the earth.

The distinctive sounds of dripping water was a melody all residents of Waterfall fell asleep to, the soft pitter-patter of water becoming background noise to those that heard it every day. If they were still awake they would notice the accompanying sound of sand being crunched by several feet, one set stumbling more often than the other but still making haste. The echo flowers that bloomed along the walk paths had heard it best, echoing the noise till even the furthest growing flower was playing the newest beats. Not much later down the road the sounds of ragged breaths became more pronounced, though the sounds of running feet did not slow.

The two of you were running. Running for or from what you didn't know, but the meatless hand pulling you forward was enough reason to keep moving. Between the gasping for breath and taking care to avoid tripping over roots, rocks and your own two feet, you couldn't help wonder why the both of you were in such a hurry. The fact that the lazy skeleton was running would have made you laugh in any other situation, but the glimpses of frowns the glow-in-the-dark plants lighted drained out the humor. Him starting the day before his brother even woke up would have been a high-damage attack to the other skeleton's soul if Papyrus ever hears about it, but by the silent request in Sans's eyes it would most likely become one of the billion other secrets he kept. Would those secrets ever become too much and simply spill out of him, you wondered. By the way his shoulders were tense even while running made that day seem not too far off. Sans's sudden stop shook you out of your thoughts, though the abrupt halt was not enough to stop you as you crashed right into him. With an instinctive pull on your part he steadied as well, preventing him from meeting the many rocks surrounding the both of you face first. Two apologies intermingled before silence reigned again. He still had a clouded look as he stared at where the both of you went off-path, entering a much more rocky terrain. You followed his gaze when it went to the hands still holding one another. You could feel a soft shaking where fingers interlocked, before they squeezed once and left go. Your eyebrows scrunched up in confusion as your gaze lingered on your palms, the phantom feeling of his smooth cold hand remaining.

He just kept standing there, looking into a far distance your mind couldn't reach.

"Go"

Your eyebrows scrunched up further, questions on your lips as he continued.

"Apparently the 'stars' in de ceiling of Waterfall have collected magic over time, creating a disturbance with the magic of the barrier." Here he used one arm to showcase the glowing rocks way above him, using a voice opposite from the way he usually talks about them in admiration, telling you all about the constellations he managed to find. "Just barely though." He scoffed out. He stopped talking for a while, looking at the far rocks before gazing at those near his feat, kicking them a few times as you waited for him to continue in almost agitating silence. Your imploring look must have reached him, for he continued with gritted teeth "What I'm saying is that it's crude, but it's still an exit. Of course that doesn't change the fact that Monsters can't get through, their soul structure too delicate and vulnerable to withstand the force of the barrier" He turned towards you and finally looked you in the eyes.

"But you can."

He turned around and walked further into the rocky terrain. He stopped when he was almost under a rough hole in the ceiling you haven't noticed before. Or wasn't there before, you mentally countered, as the rocks circling the hole shone light on sharp broken bones that were sticking out all around it, the light highlighting the bones' own blue glow. Dug by bone-attacks, you concluded.