Chapter VI: Collateral Damage

The sun was beginning to set over the hills behind Haven as Hobbs helped me out through the front door. The bonds still held my feet together, so I steadied myself against Hobbs' arm as I️ shuffled to the edge of the porch. The air was hot and humid, but a cool breeze kissed my skin and eased the discomfort. Purple-flowered shrubs lined the porch wall and ran along a low fence that enclosed a small garden. The shrubs swayed in the wind, bathing me in their wonderful aroma.

"Parker may have been a hothead at times, but what a green thumb. When he was tending to his plants, he seemed at peace," Hobbs said.

"They're beautiful," I whispered. "Lilacs?"

He nodded. "Yeah. We each had our own way of dealing with the reality of life after the bombs—this was his," Hobbs replied quietly. "Come on. Steady as you go." He stepped down onto the stairs.

I watched the flowers for a moment, drinking in the scene before hopping down a step and following Hobbs' lead down the rest. When we hit the cement walkway, Doc appeared, walking along the narrow path towards us. A large, white, windowless van sat just outside the gate with a handful of armed men encircling it. Toro towered over the yellow muscle car that had brought us here; he leaned against the side, picking at his nails with my Sai.

"Your chariot awaits, my dear!" Doc said cheerfully, waving towards the van. "I️ do apologize for the—" he motioned at my hand wrapped up in the towel, "—injury to your hand. I lost my temper and fear I may have doomed you for your future...shall we say, cleansing?" He pursed his lips and rubbed his chin.

I️ looked to Hobbs; he kept his eyes towards the ground, avoiding Doc's gaze.

Doc smacked his own hand. "Look at me, giving spoilers away before the big reveal! How gauche."

Only the flowers swaying in the wind moved. Hobbs and I️ stayed perfectly still as Doc clapped his hands together. "Hobbs, so glad you'll be making the trip with us," Doc said, coming up and laying a hand on Hobbs' shoulder.

What was left of Hobbs' color evaporated. I could feel his hand begin to shake against mine underneath the towel.

"W-why do you need me to go? Shouldn't I stay here to make sure Haven's people—"

"Let me just stop you right there, Hobbs," Doc said. "I've got my own men here that will let me know if you are needed back, don't you worry. Like I told you before, the people here are still unaware of our presence. Scott here—" he pointed to a man outside the gate. He looked familiar, for some reason, but I couldn't place him, "—is...well, was, Parker's right-hand man. One of my best! He has the people of Haven's trust and will make it his top priority to keep them safe."

"And about Parker's disappearance?" Hobbs asked.

"It's a rough world outside these gates...isn't it?" Doc said, shrugging.

Hobbs sighed and reluctantly nodded.

"Good man," Doc said. "Now then..."

There was a click and Doc's other hand was no longer empty but was now holding a large pocketknife.

Hobbs' eyes went wide, "Doc, you just said—"

"What?" Doc looked to the knife. "Oh, this?" He threw his head back and laughed. "Easy, Hobbs. This is just so Phoenix doesn't have to do anymore hopping around."

They both turned to me, and, in turn, I looked at my feet. When I looked up, Doc was standing in front of me.

"May I️?" he asked, grinning and waving towards the ground.

My legs spasmed; it felt as if I️ was fighting against my own limbs, like a caged animal getting ready to be released from its imprisonment. Muscle memory identified this fucking maniac as a threat, and my lower extremities wanted to do bodily harm to the target in front of them.