Past and Present

.

Business was booming in Mr. Ping's noodle shop. After word got out that Po, the clumsy waiter and son of Mr. Ping, was the Dragon Warrior, animals from all over China came to visit and try some noodle soup, which had a special ingredient that no one but Mr. Ping and Po knew. Customers flocked to the small diner on a daily basis. Po has certainly helped his father's shop.

"Thank you! Thank you for coming to Dragon Warrior Noodles and Tofu!" Mr. Ping, the goose, waved to a customer as the customer walked out of the diner, full and happy. But, never one to rest in the presence of costumers, he quickly turned to address another patron, "More lemon sauce? If there is anything you need, just ask! Thank you!" The goose was always good to his patrons.

However, he spied a young rabbit gazing fondly at a mop hanging on the wall: "The Dragon Warriors mop! He mopped these very floors with it!" Just as the rabbit reached out to touch it, Mr. Ping interrupted,

"Ah ah ah! No touching!" As the rabbit looked back at him, surprised and embarrassed, he explained: "You'll get the mop dirty."

"Ya know, he once waited on me." A large pig interrupted from a nearby table, his booming voice projecting across the diner, "I have the stain to prove it!"

"Awesome!" His friend replied, who was only sitting right next to him. The first pig turned to Mr. Ping and called out to him,

"Hey! Where is the Dragon Warrior?!" He asked.

"Ohh," Mr. Ping started, waddling up to them, "He does not work here anymore. He is busy out there, protecting the Valley." He explained. But fate, it seemed, was eager to surprise the goose that morning:

"Look! It's the Dragon Warrior!" Shouted the second pig.

Every pair of eyes turned to gaze at the entrance of the restaurant. There was Po. He was smiling shyly and waving to the customers. A rabbit, who Mr. Ping could only assume was a mother, held her baby up to Po. Po kissed the baby rabbit. Mr. Ping eagerly ran up to his son, "Po! You should have told me you were coming!" The large panda wrapped the goose in a hug, smiling slightly. He put his dad down and spoke,

"Uhm, dad, can I talk to you?"

Mr. Ping nodded, "Of course, son!" As the goose turned and waddled back towards the kitchen, he looked at his patrons. He smiled, "In honor of my son, free tofu dessert for everybody!" The costumers cheered happily. But Mr. Ping, thinking fast, added on, "Complete with purchases." The costumers quickly deflated, their excitement of the moments before quickly forgotten.

"It's so good to see you, Po!" Mr. Ping moved to hug his son as soon as the two entered the kitchen, "Have you lost weight? I can almost put my wings around you!"

Po smiled, "Ahh, well, maybe a little."

Mr. Ping frowned, "Oh, poor you! You must be so weak! Here, let me get you some soup." The goose moved over to the counter of the restaurant, where he grabbed his best knife. He began chopping vegetables to make some food for the large panda.

However, Po quickly intercepted the goose, "No, dad, it's ok. I'm not hungry."

Po's dad suddenly halted. The Po he knew would never turn down food. He looked at Po, "Not hungry, Po? You alright?"

The panda nodded, formulating his thoughts, "Yeah, yeah. No, I'm fine." Po began thinking, "It's just that.. I was fighting these bandits earlier today."

However, Mr. Ping was only partly listening. The goose answered with an 'uh huh'. He had continued making the soup, but he would sell it to a costumer instead. No doubt someone would want one.